* FH7 create new source record for an event

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Hans_S
Silver
Family Historian: V7

FH7 create new source record for an event

Post by Hans_S » 06 Mar 2021 20:33

I recently started working with FH7 and am missing a functionality which I had used quite frequently in the past. Unfortunately, I cannot turn the time back to see how this worked in FH6, but I'll try it from my memories.

When I record an event in an individual's life, I want to record the source for the event, too. In FH6, I would right-click the event, then click a menu entry like "add source" and then either create a source note in the event record, or link the event to a source record from my sources, or create a new source record and put a link to this new record into the event record. While I have found the first and second operations on the right-click menu in FH7, I fail to find the third option. In FH7, I have to abandon the event, go to the "Sources" page, create the source, note down its ID, then return to the event and create the link.

Or did I fail to find the best way of creating a new source and linking it to an event?

Thank you
Hans

jimlad68
Megastar

Re: FH7 create new source record for an event

Post by jimlad68 » 06 Mar 2021 20:50

I had not noticed that but here goes:
r click
show sources
bottom left add citation
add new generic source > gives an [untitled] source
click on it and fill in via the new floating Citation panel.

For more info see:
Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window (19000)
which also directs you to Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources.
Together they may make it more like FHv6.

I have just been through all this!

(someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the generic source is the same as the old v6 Simple source).
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 06 Mar 2021 21:05

Hans, from your description it sounds like you were working in the All tab or the Records Window in FH V6.
Otherwise, I don't understand how the right-click options you mention could appear.
In FH V7 the right-click options in the All tab and Records Window are the same.

Usually, in FH V6 the new event would be added to the Facts tab.
The adjacent yellow Sources For pane had an Add Citation button that allowed you to choose an existing or new Source record and other fields were available in the yellow Sources For pane.

FH V7 is very similar. The yellow Sources For pane has an Add Source Citation button like FH V6 but it has new options.
Use Cite Existing Source to add a Citation to an existing Source record.
Use Add New Generic Source to add a Citation to a new Source record.

This is where it changes because a new floating Citation Window opens.
This shows both the Source record details at the top and the Citation details at the bottom all in one dialogue.
The Text from Source, Notes and Media tabs also have options for both Source and Citation.

See also the FHUG Knowledge Base article Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Hans_S
Silver

Post by Hans_S » 06 Mar 2021 21:45

Jim and Mike, thank you for your replies. Jim, your workflow works in the "Individual" property box, it probably is the easiest way to add a new source, I'll try that in the future.

And Mike, I have no "All" tab in the Records window, can it be that you are also referring to the property box? I used to work mainly in the "Individuals" tab of the Records window because I like to have "everything" at my finger tips. That is where I create individuals, add events to their lives, and (used to) add sources to these events. Up to now, I hardly ever used the property box for individuals.

I just saw that the same issue exists for note records, but I don't see how to use the property box to link a new note record to an event, other than going to the "Notes" tab, create the note record, and then back to the event.

Found this: I can create a link to any existing source or note record to the event, then right-click the link and click "Replace link with... -> Link to new note/source record". Not very elegant but close to how I used to do it.
2021-03-06_22h43_08.png
2021-03-06_22h43_08.png (24.67 KiB) Viewed 782 times

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 06 Mar 2021 22:18

Yes, I was referring to the All tab of the Property Box or the Individuals tab of the Records Window.
They are both almost identical so could not be sure which you were using in FH V6.

The right-click options you had in FH V6 have been changed in FH V7 and are now separate options.
e.g.
Add Note Record which adds a link to an existing Note record
Add Source which adds a link to an existing Source record
Add Source Note
but Add Link to New Note Record and Add Link to New Source Record are missing.

I suggest you report that problem to Calico Pie via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php.

Until that is fixed you will have to create new Note & Source records first as you have found as a workaround.
Alternatively, you will have to learn new ways of working using the Property Box features.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker » 06 Mar 2021 22:27

Yes I agree with Mike, it does seem wrong that the option has gone and should be reported. The original options from FH6 that you refer to are still there if you right-click on an Individual rather than a fact. I'm not suggesting that helps you but it does illustrate an inconsistency.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com

Hans_S
Silver

Post by Hans_S » 07 Mar 2021 10:53

Mike and Nick, thank you for your advice. I created a support ticket.

Cheers
Hans