* Merging files - multiple selection of records in FH7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
JohnH
Family Historian: V7

Merging files - multiple selection of records in FH7

Post by JohnH »

Hi, I need to make a multiple selection of records in the "Merge from" column but the help info states that only one record can be selected to delete (records being matched showing as *Merge*). Elsewhere on the same help page it states that: "Then merge the resulting file over several sessions. During each session, check as many files as you have time for, and discard all the Imported File records that you don't have time to check. In the next session, merge the same file again."
So presumably the only way to do this is to manually select each record to delete, which could be several hundreds, and then merge; one must then perform this process iteratively until completed. Obviously this process could take a very long time if one only wishes to do a relatively small number of records at a time and one cannot select say a few hundred to discard at a single operation !
It seems odd that multiple consecutive records showing *ADD* can be selected but not *MERGE* and possibly other record matching types. I could work on the gedcom file with a text editor but this is also very messy. Is there some feature or facility in FH that I am missing that could assist in this process ?
Regards JohnH
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merging files - multiple selection of records in FH7

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG John.

The reason * Add * records can be bulk selected and Discarded is that they only refer to Imported Records.
You can bulk select * Merge * records and Unmatch them, then the Current Records have the Keep action whereas the Imported Records have the * Add * action, which can be sorted together, bulk selected and Discarded.

The alternative technique is to split the Project being imported into separate family branch Projects beforehand and then Merge one branch at a time.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JohnH

Re: Merging files - multiple selection of records in FH7

Post by JohnH »

Thank you for the reply advising that the Merge command can be bulk selected and split, thus hopefully enabling a sensible phased approach to be done regarding the merging process.
I will try this soon.

Many thanks
JohnH