* Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window

Post by jimlad68 »

I have finally taken to plunge to FHv7 although I do not think I will take advantage of many of the new features, but time will tell and the options are there, indeed, I find the new source "methods" far too complicated for my "keep it simple" methodology. Having said that I did not use many features of v6, e.g. pictures and maps. However at £10/year upgrade I am happy to upgrade as I like to keep with the latest software version as that is likely to better maintained both officially and via a forum like this.

But one thing I do look forward to is the extra floating Source/Citation (I never worked out the difference!) window. I have hit a navigation snag.
- I show sources at the bottom of the property box (or could be floating), and click on them so I can view concurrently in the Citation window. The problem is it always starts at the first tab, when the info I want is on the 2nd tab "text from source"
- Is there a way to make it open by default on the 2nd or any other tab?
- I suppose this mirrors the similar situation with the property box where fisrt time it always opens on the Main tab, when I would find it more useful to start on the Facts tab.
Similarly, is there a way to make that open by default on a another tab?

- HOWEVER, as regards the Citation window I have a workaround that might be better than the original that might be useful to others. Add the "Text from source" to the 1st "citation" tab.
- i.e. dropdown cog > customise citation window > select tab "Main (generic)" > add "text from source" > select "text from source" in RH pane > edit > make sure the height is variable [later EDIT: > adjust the "weight" for the relative size of the box] > OK > OK.
- This then displays the "text from source" in the first Citation tab. For my purposes, not only does this show the "text from source" on the default tab, but displays all I need to know about the Source/Citation.

I appreciate that many people use sources in a much more detailed/complicated manner, so might not be of much help to them.
Last edited by jimlad68 on 28 Feb 2021 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks, Jim -- we document something similar at Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources, which might give you some other ideas to simplify things.

It isn't however possible to select a different default first tab on open.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Thanks, Helen. I had not found that, very similar and would have set me on the right track. More experimentation with that info.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just make sure you have chosen the desired Text From Source field.
Remember there is one in each Source record, and in each Citation, so which one do you use?

After you use Customize Citation Window... both options are listed on the left as Text from Source and Citation details: Text from Source respectively.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Yes Mike, many options, but like I say many aspects of Source/Citations are too complicated for me, so empirical testing is important to make sure I have got the right thing! Not forgetting backups or cloned databases.

After reading Helen's link I have also added %SOUR.NOTE2[1]%. And in due course I might find more useful things to add.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I am still hopelessly lost with this. The changes suggested in this thread have already been made, some time ago.

The citation window opens, often showing a specific citation note.

If I delete or change that note does it edit the previous instances too or only the new one?

I have begun to put important source notes into the main Note field for the person so I dont risk loosing them if I delete them from the pane that pops up for the next person.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

E - I was a little confused when I first looked at FHv7, but as with most software updates they often take time to get used too. My biggest complaint these days is that many "updates" just seem to add bells and whistles and pictures and lose functionality and displayed detail, I suspect because they have made them compatible with mobile devices. FHv7 does not seem to have lost any functionality, but I agree, it seems more complicated.

So, as far as I can work out, "for me" the simplest way to continue with the old "generic/simple" sources is to:
(and apologies if this has been detailed before)
- action my HOWEVER above, and also action the link above from ColeValleyGirl to Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources

As regards what might or might not be lost when, I'm afraid the best solution is to experiment on a copied project.

I have not tried the new Ancestral Sources, but I hope I can still create Sources as I did before. As ever, one of my concerns is portability of data, so for instance I will not use any of the new FH data features, unless I know they are portable, or at least "be made" portable.

It is a pity that the Update did not leave the old functionality (in this case sources) as the standard, with the new functionality as an option, that would make migration so much easier.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I have not tried the new Ancestral Sources, but I hope I can still create Sources as I did before. As ever, one of my concerns is portability of data, so for instance I will not use any of the new FH data features, unless I know they are portable, or at least "be made" portable.
Yes you can. Although most of the focus in the new AS has been support for 'rich source text' - tables, formatting, etc. and also supporting source templates, you don't need to use them and can continue to use AS as you used to. AS 7 still works with older version of FH too.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
kbella
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by kbella »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 28 Feb 2021 14:08 Thanks, Jim -- we document something similar at Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources, which might give you some other ideas to simplify things.

It isn't however possible to select a different default first tab on open.
I am also struggling with this problem, went to the KB link as noted, and the first problem I run into is that there is no " Text from Source" in the list of available items. So now what?

I have two projects, one of which will be uploaded with changes to a website and requires absolute adherence to GEDCOM. Having the data in view will make it much easier to add my needed sources. The problem of displaying the source/citation pane/window/box/thingie?? seems unnecessarily complex.
Kathleen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've just had a look at those instructions and they have to be followed very carefully.

In Source Property Box and Citation Window you need to realise the first part is talking about Source Records.

So in the Records Window on the Sources tab open a Source record Property Box and its cog menu Customize Property Box…

Then in an Individual record Property Box with the Sources For yellow pane displayed open the floating Citation Window associated with a Source Citation and use its cog menu to Customize Citation Window…

In both those dialogues, there is a Text from Source option.
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Well, duh, that makes a difference! I will definitely have to save these directions, though!

Thanks so much, Mike. :roll:
Kathleen
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Kathleen, if you look at my instructions after HOWEVER, combined with the link from Helen, (and as Mike says follow carefully, i.e. simple but specific), that took me to being able to work just as I did in FHv6. With this procedure you can also add any other fields you regularly use, so in that way is more useful than the old v6 window.
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Thanks, Jim. I might be willing to try it, but I cannot find a "Customize Citation Window" (or is it a pane/box/thingie?? :) ) using any of the methods above. The instructions on the KB at least gives me a split window view - though the citation is still not visible without that annoying floating box.

The view I really wanted is one posted by Bill on the groups.io list (don't know how to post the image). It gives three columns, Focus Window/Property box split on the left, then Sources at top/Citation below to the right. This would be my ideal working environment. Bill was very helpful but again, I'm missing something in the detail and can't make it work.

At this point, I've wasted too much time trying to get my screen perfect, so I'll deal with it. I must say, though, that I have never had so much trouble trying to do such a simple thing and I am not ignorant when it comes to software. I used to recommend FH to others but doubt I will do so now without a warning.
Kathleen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you got the floating Sources For yellow pane displayed, similar to FH V6 but without the Citation details?
If so then double-click the Citation text listed in that pane for any Source Citation.
Alternatively, click the yellow scroll with pen icon below and called Edit Source Citation.
By either method the floating Citation Window will open and that has a cog menu for Customize Citation Window...
That lets you display the details that would have appeared in the Sources For yellow pane in FH V6, but it also displays Source record details that are not so easily accessible in FH V6. You can leave this window open and it auto-updates with whatever Source Citation you select in the Sources For pane.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Kathleen,

I'd be happy to try to get you set up. I think this is the image you were talking about.

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (167.72 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
At what point are you stuck? Did you manage to get the focus window and property box docked side by side? Did you manage to open the Sources For window as a floating window and resize it and place it next to the property box? How about the citation window... did you open it and resize it and position it under the Sources For window?

Let me know how far you got and I'd be happy to try to get you set up the way you want it.

Bill
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

BillH wrote: 12 Apr 2021 19:43
At what point are you stuck? Did you manage to get the focus window and property box docked side by side? Did you manage to open the Sources For window as a floating window and resize it and place it next to the property box? How about the citation window... did you open it and resize it and position it under the Sources For window?
Yes, Focus and Property boxes are side by side.
Yes, Sources box is open/floating/resized.
Yes, Citation box is open/floating/resized. (Thanks Mike!)
No, I cannot get the Source and Citation boxes moved to the right of the Property box.
When I resize the Focus/Property box, the Focus box gets smaller, but the Property box is cemented to the right edge of the screen.
Kathleen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Make the main FH window smaller by dragging its righthand edge left.
Check Bill's screenshot carefully and you'll see that is what he has done.
If your FH window is full screen then click the Restore Down double boxes next to the X Close top right.
Then resize the window as required and move the yellow Sources and Citation windows outside the FH main window.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Kathleen,

I'm not sure how the property box could be cemented to the right side of the screen if it is docked to the focus window.

Are your focus window and property box inside one window with the icons in the upper right hand corner looking like mine (which I've enclosed inside red boxes to highlight them) in my screen shot below?

image2.jpg
image2.jpg (122.02 KiB) Viewed 6202 times

Bill

Edit: I see Mike has replied with some excellent advice as well.
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Thank you both, Mike and Bill!

Obviously I was thinking only of FH formatting and not considering the windows in Windows. I've been using my iPad way toooo much. Sorry if I made this job too painful.

CP should be paying the Megastars on this forum.

Cheers,
Kathleen
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Kathleen,

Glad you got it working the way you want. I know I like this much better than having the floating citation window floating over the focus window and property box and obscuring them.

Bill
kbella
Diamond

Post by kbella »

Bill,

Yes, I agree - I always felt like swatting the darn thing, but then I wanted to see it again within a few minutes.

Kathleen
Kathleen