* unlinking a person

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Howardmonty
Family Historian: V7

unlinking a person

Post by Howardmonty »

Hi
I thought my grandmother’s (Bertha) parents were James and Jane Thomas however that is not true, James and Jane Thomas had a child Annie. Annie then had a child who was my grandmother (Bertha) but on all the censes it was put down that she was the daughter of James and Jean Thomas and not the daughter of Anne Thomas consequently I have built my family tree up around this information. I want to move my grandmother (Bertha) from being a child of John and Jean Thomas to be a child of and Annie Thomas I would need to unlink that relationship but keep all the links from my grandmother.
How do I do it please.?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: unlinking a person

Post by tatewise »

Display James and Jane Thomas in the Focus Window with Bertha and Annie shown as their children.
Right-click Bertha and choose Unlink Record.

Then with Annie Thomas in Focus or in her Property Box use Add Child and Link Existing Record to link Bertha.

See FHUG Knowledge Base Removing Unwanted Relations which one of several articles in the Family Relationships section.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

First thing I would do, would be to add Bertha as a child of Annie. If Annie was unmarried at the time, add an empty spouse to create a new family for Annie, then attach Bertha as a child via an Existing Individual, find Bertha in the list and select her. Then go to Annie Parents, where Bertha is also shown as a child, then Unlink Bertha from this family.
This should then leave Bertha as child of Annie, with no father shown.
EDIT Miketate says much the same thing, but in reverse order to me.😀
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
Howardmonty

Post by Howardmonty »

Many thanks for your replies but my fault I've ended up in a worse mess than I was before I've lost part of the family from Bertha side. I think I shall have to work through the book page up page.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Have you succeeded in getting Bertha attached to the right parents?
Do you mean Bertha's descendants have become unlinked from her? If so I'm sure they will all still be there in yout project, it's just a case of locating them and re-linking one (or more) of her children to her.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If by the 'book' you mean "Getting the Most from Family Historian" then that won't help you much.

What I suggest is that you revert your Project back to where it was last Sunday and start again.
( I assume you have made no other changes in the last week except for trying to move Bertha. )

So in FH use the File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot... command and choose a Snapshot Taken last Sunday, then click the Revert to Snapshot... button.
That will save the current GEDCOM as a Snapshot and replace it with your chosen Snapshot.
Therefore, you can get back to where you are now if you wish.

Having reverted to last Sunday's GEDCOM, Bertha and Annie will be sisters again and all family links will be restored.
So you should be able to apply the corrections that we advised earlier.
The corrections suggested should not affect anything except Bertha's relationship to Annie.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry