* Record Flags, Icons and Diagrams

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Record Flags, Icons and Diagrams

Post by tatewise » 14 Feb 2021 12:19

MARR.DATE is true if ANY date is recorded.
It does not matter whether it is a full day/month/year, Quarter Date, year only, Period date, Range date, Date Phrase, etc.
It is possible to test the format of the Date, and we could explore that, but it gets a bit tricky.

That is why the Expressions posted earlier involve the Source Citation Title (SOUR>TITL) or the Source Type (SOUR>_TYPE).
Then it can differentiate between facts with no citation, or with a GRO Index citation, or with a Certificate citation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

lesleyl
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by lesleyl » 21 Jan 2022 12:47

I know that almost a year has elapsed! I have worked intermittently at establishing the diagram icons using Expressions and they are working well for census entries but I can't get to grips with the following:
  • Early death - where a child dies under 5
  • Using the sources title to differentiate between a certificate (entered with AS) and a GRO entry.
    I assume that I need to use something like the the example used for baptism =ContainsText( %INDI.BAPM.SOUR>TITL%, "Baptism", STD), what does STD mean and do I need it for a marriage cert?
I would be very grateful for help

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 Jan 2022 13:10

• Early death - where a child dies under 5
    This hinges on how you have recorded those deaths.
    Have you used the Death Age field and with what values?
    Have you entered the Death Date and also the Birth Date?
    The sort of expressions are =IsTrue(%INDI.DEAT.AGE% <= 5) or =IsTrue(AgeAt(%INDI%,%INDI.DEAT.DATE%) <= 5)
  • Using the source's title to differentiate between a certificate (entered with AS) and a GRO entry.
    Yes, you are on the right line. Check the FH Help page for Functions where ContainsText explains such things as STD.
    ( i.e. Use FH Help > Help Search and enter Function ContainsText )
    e.g. =ContainsText( %CUR~FAMS>MARR.SOUR>TITL%, "Marriage Certificate", STD)
    You can also test the Generic Source Type if you use that and have different values for Certificates and GRO entries.
    e.g. =ContainsText( %CUR~FAMS>MARR.SOUR>_TYPE%, "Marriage Certificate", STD)

lesleyl
Diamond

Post by lesleyl » 21 Jan 2022 15:32

Thanks very much Mike

Marriage Certificate is now working, thank you . That means I think that I should be able to work out how to do the Birth & Death Certificates in the same way. I'm slowly getting there!

With regard to the Early death: I have been entering the age as given on the cert or burial entry via AS. That can be in months, so I suspect that I actually need to use the 0 (for those dying under 1) ?

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 Jan 2022 16:01

In was wrong about using the =IsTrue(%INDI.DEAT.AGE% <= 5)
The AGE field is quite complex and can include days, months, and years, optionally with less than or greater than conditions, or even special values such as Child or Infant.
So testing the %INDI.DEAT.AGE% field is almost impossible without an extremely complex expression.

Focus on the =IsTrue(AgeAt(%INDI%,%INDI.DEAT.DATE%) <= 5) or whatever Age limit you want.
However, that does rely on both the Birth event and the Death event having a Date defined.

Alternatively, you will have to add an Early Death flag to the Individual record or the Death fact and test that.

lesleyl
Diamond

Post by lesleyl » 21 Jan 2022 16:19

Thanks Mike, I'll have a 'play'..... I'm currently adding it by hand anyway, so if all else fails I'll continue with that.
I've managed to create the expression to add a Cremation (because burial didn't cover that), so am beginning to feel that my understanding of expressions is improving

lesleyl
Diamond

Post by lesleyl » 13 Feb 2022 19:14

I've managed to sort out all the flags and icons that I wanted to use, and I'm really pleased with the result; thank you Mike.
I just have one more question to ask!

(1) As suggested, I have used %INDI.BIRT.DATE:YEAR% to indicate that I have found a birth date from somewhere that requires more investigation.
(2) The trouble is that if I find the GRO ref and use =ContainsText(%INDI.BIRT.SOUR>TITL%,"GRO-B",STD) to display the fact that it's cited and sourced, I still get the icon from (1) above as well.

I'm coming round to thinking that if I've got the expression in (2) and a similar one =ContainsText(%INDI.BIRT.SOUR>TITL%,"Birth",STD) for a birth certificate source, the expression in (1) should be redundant. That is, I really shouldn't have a case where a birth year is unsourced, even if it's only from 1939 register, or in the case of pre-registration by calculation from (say) a burial record?

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 13 Feb 2022 19:31

The thing to remember is that all Box Condition expressions are independent of each other.
So if the Condition is true then the Icon (or other Box Feature) is applied.

Thus your case (1) really needs to test for the Birth Year and no Source Citation such as something like:
=IsTrue( Exists(%INDI.BIRT.DATE:YEAR%) and IsEmpty(%INDI.BIRT.SOUR%) )

lesleyl
Diamond

Post by lesleyl » 13 Feb 2022 19:53

Thanks Mike. That sort of expression looks as if it will be a brilliant addition!