* Missing notes

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Kylie
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Missing notes

Post by Kylie »

As you can see from the attached images, I clearly have notes in the regarding a person's death but I can't see it in the 'note' tab or the 'fact' tab when clicking 'died'.

Yet my 'education' ones are there. Even some other family members still have their notes visible for their death, cremation. I don't remember if I had more notes about myself than currently visible.

But I'm positive those 'invisible' notes were visible previously. I never made these 'invisible' notes into sources (because I don't truly understand how to use the source, cite, repository windows without everything doubling up on narrative print outs - so I use the 'note' area to put my sources'.

Invisible notes have also happened on my half siblings grandparents & those I am 100% positive I put the notes in the 'note' area for 'death' on the 'fact tab'.

I have gone to the properties window, clicked the cog & 'customise property box' highlighted death, restore old version. nothing so I'm guessing that was very wrong. I'd just like to see the notes back.

Thanks for patience & guidance.
Kylie
Attachments
KJ Notes.jpg
KJ Notes.jpg (136.55 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Death Notes.jpg
Death Notes.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Missing notes

Post by Jane »

The death note you have shown is a Note Record and not a local note. These are different and are not shown in the Note box.

I am not clear why you put them in as Note Records, but I suspect you may have imported them from a previous program.

If you go to View>Record Lists>Notes do you have a lot of notes there with only one link?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Hi Jane
Thanks for the reply. I believe the answer is yes.
Notes 1 link
Notes 1 link
1linknotes.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have a plugin which will convert the notes to local notes, but I have not upgraded it to V7 yet. When I get some time I will update it to run on V7.

https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... n-up-notes
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have updated the plugin. Please make a backup and check your data after running it. Remember you can use Edit>Undo from the menu to undo any changes made as long as you do not close down the program or load another project.
Jane
Kylie
Platinum

Post by Kylie »

Thanks Jane.

I can't say for sure if it was due to an import from previous program. My Mum used several programs over the last 35 years but this one became her favourite. I simply took up where she left off when she passed away just over a year ago.

Thankfully she'd shown me a few of the basics otherwise I'd be completely lost.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Kylie, it is quite common for GEDCOM imported from other products to have single-use Note records instead of local Notes.
It is the sole purpose of the Clean Up Notes plugin to correct that problem.
In the FHUG Knowledge Base under Importing there is Convert Note Records to Local Notes advice as one of the many gems of advice on importing from other products.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry