* Address field in Individual Main Property Box

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
bloodbrotheruk
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Address field in Individual Main Property Box

Post by bloodbrotheruk »

The main property box for an individual allows you to enter a PLACE record against Birth and Death entries, but as far as I can see, you then need to move onto the FACTS tab to enter ADDRESS.
I've looked at the options for customising the property box, but cannot see where or how i can add address onto the main tab for Birth, Marriage and Death.

As an example, I'd like to record:
Birth Date = 18 Oct 2018
Birth Place = Boston, Lincolnshire, England
Birth Address = Pilgrim Hospital, Sibsey Rd, Boston, Lincolnshire, England

Ideally this would all be together on the same tab.

Has anyone else had similar desires, and if so, how did you tackle this, or indeed, is it possible at all?

I'm using v6.2.7 but have also bought a v7 licence which I am currently just using on test data, so happy for the solution to work for just v7 or both v7 and v6.2.7

Furthermore, in the records window, Places is an available tab, but address doesn't seem to be available at all, except via Tools --> Working with data --> addresses

I'm wondering if this is an oversight, or if the majority of users don't use address, and find Place is sufficient?

any thoughts would be greatfully recieved

many thanks

(Apologies if this has been covered before, closest I could find to my query was at:
https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/worki ... new-users/)
BillH
Megastar

Re: Address field in Individual Main Property Box

Post by BillH »

To add an address field to the main tab you use the cog menu and then select Customize Data Entry.

Then on the Customize Property Box window you deselect the box in the bottom left for Show most commonly-used items only. Then select <Custom Item> (for advanced users) and add it to the Selected Items pane. Then give the address a name in the first box, select the second box called Part 1, and add the correct Data Reference (for example... click on Events, click on Birth, and then select Address).

For example here is what I have for marriage address.

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 3430 times

Bill
Bill Henshaw
bloodbrotheruk
Gold

Post by bloodbrotheruk »

thanks Bill, that's exactly what I was looking for
very much appreciated

cheers
Phil
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

bloodbrotheruk wrote: 27 Dec 2020 21:45
Furthermore, in the records window, Places is an available tab, but address doesn't seem to be available at all, except via Tools --> Working with data --> addresses

I'm wondering if this is an oversight, or if the majority of users don't use address, and find Place is sufficient?
Phil,

I missed this the first time. On the records window only FH records have tabs. Address is not a record. Place didn't use to be a record, that was added in FH 6. The only way to access addresses is via Tools > Work with data > addresses as you have already used.

I think most users do use both places and addresses although some put everything in one of these fields or another. Personally, I use both. It is really up to you which you want to do, but be consistent. There are quite a few discussions here on the forum which cover the pros and cons of each method.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
bloodbrotheruk
Gold

Post by bloodbrotheruk »

BillH wrote: 27 Dec 2020 23:06
I think most users do use both places and addresses although some put everything in one of these fields or another. Personally, I use both. It is really up to you which you want to do, but be consistent.
Thanks again Bill
I'm aware my current project file (v6.2.7) is inconsistent in many areas, place/address, sources, repositories to name but a few.
With the release of v7 I'm taking this as an opportunity to have a bit of a tidy up.
My current thought is to install on a different laptop, and start from scratch with my old laptop running v6 next to it, copying data across rather than simply upgrading my project.
Adding in the custom fields per your solution above will greatly speed up the process, so I am very grateful you took the time to direct me, thank you.
I only have around 750 individuals in my tree to date, so now seems an opportune moment to reset, before my tree gets too big

thanks again
cheers
Phil
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Phil,

You probably are already aware of this, but just remember that you can not go the other way from FH 7 to FH 6. There are enough changes in FH 7 to the data structure (Gedcom 5.5.1 vs Gedcom 5.5) that it makes going that direction a problem. Don't ever open your gedcom file in FH 6 once it is used in FH 7.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
bloodbrotheruk
Gold

Post by bloodbrotheruk »

BillH wrote: 27 Dec 2020 23:32 Don't ever open your gedcom file in FH 6 once it is used in FH 7.
Hi Bill
yes was aware the gedcom versions had changed. My thought was to use the gedcom export function as below
Gedcom Export.JPG
Gedcom Export.JPG (60.36 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
I have some family members who will remain v6 for a while, but I'm keen to use the v7 features as soon as I can - really liking the source features with templates in RTF format

cheers
phil
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Phil,

I'm still on 6.2.7 so don't really know much about this option. Since it is there I assume it will work fine, but don't know what changes will be made in the exported file. At the very least the rich text would have to be removed. Not sure what else.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

That export function does the bare minimum to make an FH7 file readable in FH6; it doesn't turn it into an FH6 file. Have a look at Mike Tate's Export Gedcom file in the plugin store.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the plug, Helen.
The Export Gedcom File plugin now has an export mode specifically for FH V6 and retains as much FH V7 detail as possible in fully compatible FH V6 GEDCOM and Media files.
It is better than the Export > GEDCOM File... command which retains some GEDCOM 5.5.1 data that FH V6 imports as UDF.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
bloodbrotheruk
Gold

Post by bloodbrotheruk »

tatewise wrote: 28 Dec 2020 11:15 Thank you for the plug, Helen.
The Export Gedcom File plugin now has an export mode specifically for FH V6 and retains as much FH V7 detail as possible in fully compatible FH V6 GEDCOM and Media files.
It is better than the Export > GEDCOM File... command which retains some GEDCOM 5.5.1 data that FH V6 imports as UDF.
thanks Helen and Mike
I hadn't thought about the plugin, but will definitely use that instead of the standard Export process
that plugin saved me in the past when I had the need to move data between FH5 and RootsMagic

thanks again
Phil