* Upgrade from V6 to V7 issues

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RikkiR
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Upgrade from V6 to V7 issues

Post by RikkiR »

I transferred my information from TMG into Family Historian V6 and after making quite a few changes to the formatting etc I got it into a state where I was happy with the individual narratives. I have just recently upgraded to V7 of Family Historian but now find the narratives to be different and when I look at the sentence in the note section in the fact tab of the property box I find a variety of codes there. I have examples of the codes I am seeing below and I have also copied an example of what is now printed in V7 against what I had in V6. My questions are,

1. Would the following codes change the narratives back to what I had before ? Birth :- {individual} was born on {date} {place}. Marriage :- {individual} married {principal} {date} {place} {age}. Death :- {individual} died on {date} {place} {age}

2. Would I need to paste the codes individually into the sentence box or is there a place I can globally change the sentences.

I have read through the help files and I think if I go to tools, fact types, birth and copy in the above codes it might work but as I have no experience in coding I’m reluctant to try this in case I mess all the narratives up. As a last resort I have V6 on disc and could load it onto another laptop and copy the sentence codes from there to get the same format.
(Using windows 10)

Any advice welcome and apologies in advance if this post is too long or in the wrong place but its my first one.

Thanks in advance.

V7 Birth
{individual} was a {role name} at {label} of {principal} {date} {place}

Variation
{individual} was born {date} {place} <({age})>. <The informant on the birth certificate was {role=informant}.>

V7 Marriage

Variation
{individual} married {spouse/her/him} {date} {place} {their ages}. <The best man was {role(single)=Best man}. ><{role(single)=bridesmaid} was a bridesmaid. ><{role(plural)=bridesmaid} were bridesmaids. ><The marriage was witnessed by {role=witness}. ><The ceremony was conducted by {role=minister}. ><The ceremony was conducted by {role=priest}. ><The ceremony was conducted by {role=rabbi}. >

V7 Death

Version 7 narrative
Richard RAMSAY, son of Richard RAMSAY (1823-1894) and Janet LETHAM (1825-1874), was a Coal Miner. He was a Child at Birth of Richard RAMSAY on June 10, 1861 in 3 Mud Row, Clyde Iron Works, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland.1 He appeared in the census in 1871 in 3 Mud Row aged 9.2 He appeared in the census in 1881 in Causewayside Street, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland aged 19.3 He was a Groom at Marriage of Richard RAMSAY and Agnes ALLAN on December 31, 1884 in The Free Church Manse, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland.4 In 1885 he lived in Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland. He appeared in the census in 1891 in Causewayside Street aged 29.5 He appeared in the census in 1901 in Causewayside Street aged 39.6 He appeared in the census in 1911 in 31 Braidfauld Street, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland aged 49.7 In 1923 he was a School Furnishers Machineman aged 35. He was a Deceased at Death of Richard RAMSAY on December 1, 1941 in 31 Braidfauld Street.8

Version 6 narrative
Richard RAMSAY, son of Richard RAMSAY (1823-1894) and Janet LETHAM (1825-1874), was born on June 10, 1861 in 3 Mud Row, Clyde Iron Works, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland.1 He was a Coal Miner. He appeared in the census in 1871 in 3 Mud Row aged 9.2 He appeared in the census in 1881 in Causewayside Street, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland aged 19.3 He married Agnes ALLAN on December 31, 1884 in The Free Church Manse, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland when he was 23 and she was 21. The marriage was witnessed by John Speirs and Janet ALLAN.4 In 1885 he lived in Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland. He appeared in the census in 1891 in Causewayside Street aged 29.5 He appeared in the census in 1901 in Causewayside Street aged 39.6 He appeared in the census in 1911 in 31 Braidfauld Street, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland aged 49.7 In 1923 he was a School Furnishers Machineman aged 35. He died on December 1, 1941 in 31 Braidfauld Street aged 80.8
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Upgrade from V6 to V7 issues

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Rikki.

WOW :roll: You have experienced some unfortunate disruptions that should not happen. :o

Before changing anything, please summarise the "quite a few changes to the formatting" you made in FH v6.
e.g.
Did you change any Sentence Templates or were the Narrative Report sentences OK without change?
Did you change the order of any facts in the Facts tab?

I don't understand why all those {role name} codes have appeared in the Sentence Templates.

One thing that has definitely happened is the Occupation Coal Miner fact has been moved before Richard RAMSAY's Birth Event and explains why the first two Narrative sentences have changed. FH v7 appears to have a different way of sorting facts into order than FH v6 did. Can you provide any more details about those two facts.

Do any of your facts have Fact Witnesses (3 blue balls icon)? I think TMG calls them Shared Facts.

Did you see the Knowledge Base advice for Importing to Family Historian that has a dedicated section for TMG?

If possible it may be worth reporting your symptoms to Calico Pie so they can investigate what went wrong.
Are you happy to do that? If so then you must NOT change anything.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Mike,

Thanks very much for the reply. At least it looks like I didn’t do anything wrong (so far).

The formatting. Basically if I remember it was just tidying up entries in the property box to have consistency in the addresses and occupations etc.

I don’t think I changed any Sentence Templates although I may have cut and pasted one into the sentence field in one or two in the facts tab of the property box.

I didn’t change the order of any facts in the FACTS tab (to my knowledge)

I’ve just done a random selection of individuals and have never seen anyone with the three blue balls, only one in the facts tab.

I did see the Knowledge Base advice and think I followed it. Apart from the tidying up issue I mentioned earlier, everything went smoothly

The occupation, all I have entered is occupation and in the note section I have said where I got that information. I think I will enter the age he was in that occupation from the marriage certificate and see what happens.

As an aside, I thought a quick way of formatting this again without changing anything in the program was to save the book in .rtf, open it up and save it again as a word doc, them make the changes using find / replace for the phrases or words. I have no tried it on two laptops using two different versions of word and each time when you try to find the word or phrase it comes up with zero. Find / replace works perfectly well on any other document I have, only the one rebuilt from the .rtf file is not working.

Yes, I would be happy reporting the problems but to be honest, I was pretty convinced that I was missing something or doing something wrong :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, so the important thing is not to change anything in TMG or FH for the moment so that Calico Pie can investigate.
To start the ball rolling, raise a support ticket via http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php and see what they say.
They may need you to send some TMG project files and some FH files, or they may ask to remote access your PC.

In the meantime, it would be interesting to review the data just for Richard RAMSAY without altering anything.
On his Facts tab is the Occupation Coal Miner fact before the Birth event?
What are their two Date field values?
Are they in the same order on the All tab?

On that Facts tab are there any triple blue ball icons in the right-hand More column?

What does the Sentence box at the bottom say when you select those Occupation and Birth facts and also his Marriage and Death facts?
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Mike,

I tried to take screenshots of the facts tab but couldn't get them inserted into this screen for instance. (Probably me just missing something), but when I copied the two rows in the facts tab and pasted them into here, this was the result.

Birth
Date: June 10, 1861
Place: 3 Mud Row, Clyde Iron Works, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland
Witness: [I18] Richard RAMSAY (1861-1941)
Role: Child
Note: Born at 16:30 hrs. Birth Certificate 1861, 652/1, 186.
Source: [S2] Birth Certificate
Data
Text from Source: 1861, 652/1, 186
Media Record: [O7] Birth Certificate Richard Ramsay 1861
Assessment: Primary information
Note: Coal Miner. (Source Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate and son Richard's Birth Certificate)
Age 23 yrs

They are in the same order in the "ALL" tab, always birth first, then occupation, marriage, death.

There are no triple ball icons in any of the columns in anyone's facts tabs that I can see in the "MORE" column.

Sentence for Birth :- {individual} was a {role name} at {label} of {principal} {date} {place}
Richard RAMSAY, son of Richard RAMSAY (1823-1894) and Janet LETHAM (1825-1874), was a Coal Miner. He was a Child at Birth of Richard RAMSAY on June 10, 1861 in 3 Mud Row, Clyde Iron Works, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland.

Sentence for marriage :- {individual} was a {role name} at {label} of {principal} {date} {place}
He was a Groom at Marriage of Richard Ramsay and Agnes Allan on December 31, 1884 in The Free Church Manse, Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland.

Sentence for Death :- {individual} was a {role name} at {label} of {principal} {date} {place}
He was a Deceased at Death of Richard Ramsay on Dec 1, 1941 in 31 Braidfauld Street Tollcross, Glasgow, Scotland.

I will raise a ticket with Calico Pie shortly but I will need to locate the old TMG .sqz backups first. I'm wondering if a solution to this would be to uninstall Family History from the laptop entirely and then (if I am correct as I bought a full price version) I can download it again and restore from my last V6 backup. Reasoning for this thought is the down load upgraded me from version 6 to 7 and possibly that was where the bugs came in. Going for a complete new install straight to V7 might be worth a try ?

Thanks

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As a matter of interest, when you joined the FHUG were you advised to review Key Features for Newcomers?
OR did you read Please read BEFORE posting (11070)?
Anyway, they both lead to "see Forum Usage Tips for posting questions, replies, screenshots, etc."

The components of the Birth fact that say:
Witness: [I18] Richard RAMSAY (1861-1941)
Role: Child

indicate that he is his own Fact Witness with Role name of Child. (i.e. TMG Shared Fact I think.)

I have repeated that scenario and get the display shown below where Ian MUNRO is his own Witness as Child.
Note the triple blue balls icon in the More column
Double-left-click the Birth fact and that Witness window is displayed.
The Witness Sentence Template is overriding the Birth fact Sentence Template and that is a bug!
That correctly does not happen in FH v6 where the Witness is the same person as the Principal.
I know that is probably gobbledygook but it explains most of your Narrative Sentence symptoms.
So the nature of your report to Calico Pie needs to change and explain what I have said above.
( If that is a problem, then I can raise a ticket myself. )

BirthWitness.png
BirthWitness.png (71.06 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
RikkiR
Gold

Post by RikkiR »

Mike,

Yes I did read both of those items but obviously didn't take all of them in :oops:

I also seem to have had a blindness to the triple balls as I was looking for three blue dots similar to the dot in the date column. As the triple ball symbol was always there since I upgraded from TMG to FH6 and its something I have never really used or needed so far, I was unaware of their true use. Without checking every individual (now that you have explained the problem), all the entries that I can see with the triple balls I'm sure I entered using TMG. All the entries for birth, marriage and death that I can see without triple balls I'm almost certain they were entered into FH V6 after I upgraded.

As far as the ticket goes, I can raise it myself and try to explain everything as you have been extremely helpful and I cannot ask for more. I shall not change anything at all in the program.

Thank you very much and it really is much appreciated.