* strange behaviour in Books

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

strange behaviour in Books

Post by pwe »

I am starting to prepare a book but am experiencing very strange behaviour in some of the pages.
Some of the chapters I have started with a portrait of the person by using the method blank diagram, save as chart etc. then insert the chart into the book. I set the page format as "chapter". If I then view the book at the page of the portrait I can see the heading with the chapter number and the title from the inserted chart. If I then page forward then page back to the portrait page the heading is still present and visible. If, however I page back then forward to the portrait page the heading is no longer visible. If I then refresh the book the heading reappears.
I have another chapter where images have been inserted using the same method but are not the first page of a chapter so have the settings format header 1. In a particular chapter I have two pages formed in this manner each showing a page of the same document. The first one of these pages exhibits the same behaviour as described above for the portrait. The second of these pages performs correctly. If I reverse the order of the pages then still the first page malfunctions.
If the saved chart page is moved to be within the chapter and not its first page there is no improvement.
I have tried reducing the size of the image on the page in case the header is somehow being hidden but that does not help.
This behaviour does not seem to affect all pages added from a saved chart. I have one such page, more portraits, which does not show the header at all even after rebuilding the book. However if I move the page on past the following page (which is part of its chapter) then the header appears but still malfunctions as above described.
Some pages added via the blank chart method perform correctly but I am at a loss to understand why some are OK and some are not. As far as I know all have been added in the same manner.
Chart and report pages all seem to work correctly.
I would be most grateful if someone is able to point out what I have done wrong or what I need to do the the book to correct this problem.
I hope that my description is not too rambling but I find it hard to describe such weird behaviour.
many thanks -- Peter :?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: strange behaviour in Books

Post by tatewise »

It may just be a monitor graphics rendering glitch, and may be fixed with a driver update, but I am guessing.

Does it depend on other settings such as as the Edit Book dialogue open, the Zoom level, Two Pages ticked or not.

If you Save Book As... > PDF File... do all the pages get rendered correctly?
If they do, then that suggests the monitor graphics is the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Thanks Mike,
I have checked the monitor and the graphics card driver and both are reported to be up to date. I have recently replaced the computer hard drive with an SSD and re-installed the O/S [Win 8.1] and all of my programmes. I cannot say if this problem was present before these alterations.
I have saved to PDF and the relevant headings do not show.
The problem occurs both on one and two page view but is slightly better on one page. On one page I can at least obtain the header for one particular page that I cannot obtain on two page. Also if I am viewing the page with the header showing I can lose it by sliding the page slider up and down. On another problem page which will sometimes show the header it makes no difference whether I view one or two page.
It makes no difference whether or not the edit book is open.
The zoom level makes no difference.
An idea - I still have the old hard drive which still functions. Would it be worthwhile temporarily refitting this and running FH on that to see if the problem was there previously?
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I very much doubt if the drive has any impact on the problem.

I suggest you raise a problem report ticket with Calico Pie using the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting advice.
Attach a ZIP file of the appropriate Books folder content from within the Project ...fh_data folder.
If they need more then they will ask.
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Mike,
Thanks very much. I have generated a problem report ticket No 934085. I shall report back any resolution.
Thanks again -- Peter
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

I have had a reply from Calico Pie about the strange behaviour in Books that I reported. They say there is an issue in the programme which will be fixed in the next version of FH.
I seems to me that one of the bonuses of FH is the direct access that users have to the programme authors.
Thank you Calico Pie.
Peter :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are very lucky. Often, they say the problem will be logged and investigated and you hear nothing further.
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

I have been doing a little more work on my book and have managed to "cure" the problem outlined in my earlier posts.

In "edit book" I have opened the "edit" pane for one of the affected pages to show the "select chart pages" panel.

I select "options" and then the "print" tab and untick "print background" and save as default.

I do this on each of the affected pages. This makes the page titles show correctly.

Peter
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Today I have experienced another strange behaviour whilst publishing /re editing to a previous 'Background to a Book' using FH v.7 as follows:-

- using Edit word processing I had no problem with typing in and saving page 1 of the Background
- I then could read page 1 OK
- then I started typing in about half of page 2 of the Background to the Book and pressed 'OK' to save page 1.
- when I tried to read page 2 for some reason the text I had written did not appear and was a blank screen?

(I have double checked my other previous Books and at the moment I can read all pages of the books)

Can you please suggest why I can't seem to type /word process any further than page 1 of Background, thank you?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So you have a Chapter called 'Background to Book'.
In the Edit Book window, you have selected that Chapter and clicked the Edit button below.
That opens the Enter Text (constrained mode) window with the word processing toolbar for Rich Text editing.
When you have finished typing you have clicked the OK button bottom right.
That takes you back to the Edit Book window.

If you repeat that same process then the previously typed text should reappear and you can add more typing.
Then clicking the OK button bottom right will save everything you have typed.

If the text is very long, you may need to use the vertical scroll bar on the right of the Enter Text (constrained mode) window.

I'm not clear how you are able to start a page 2 as there are no page break options in the toolbar.

What commands were you using when you tried to read page 2?
e.g. Are you using the View Book button?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Try setting “Report/Book Image Caching” to “Don’t Cache” in Advanced Preferences, especially if you have a lot of charts in the book.
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you for your prompt replies.

1st Suggestion - I have double checked again using your suggested step by step procedure but alas to no avail.
- yes I am using the View Book Button.
- after returning to clicking the OK button bottom right I can see the extra text that I wrote in the
Edit Book window?
2nd Suggestion - I have tried setting to 'Don't Cache' in Advanced Preferences don't this has made no difference
( So far I have not tried to load many charts yet)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think Helen's suggestion is aimed at the earlier poster who was having problems with charts, so won't apply to you.

After using the View Book button, in the Book Window have you tried any of the following options:
In the righthand panel select various page modes: Page Width; Whole Page; Reset Zoom to 100%; Two Pages;
I suggest that Whole Page with NO tick for Two Pages is best.
Use the < left > right buttons above, to step through one page at a time, or use the vertical scroll bar.

On Page 5, I get a chapter heading 1. The Background to this Book followed by many pages of text based on the word-processed text.

I wonder if what you are seeing is the blank page before the chapter, and if you step forward to the subsequent pages you will find all the text.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 13 Apr 2021 13:53 I think Helen's suggestion is aimed at the earlier poster who was having problems with charts, so won't apply to you.
No, it was aimed at klm20UMK.

Version 7.0.4 (when released) will have some improvements for memory problems in large reports and charts, but also suggests setting the "Don't cache" preference.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, it was the word Image in the option name and your reference to charts that fooled me.
Also, the Help only refers to images, so I don't understand how it affects this text problem.
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

I have recovered my missing hidden text, 'more by luck than judgement'.

(First of all your extra suggestions did not seem to work and page 5 did not appear)

What I tried next that worked was as follows :-

- I loaded a next Chapter 2 'Descendant Narrative Report' and the extra missing text in Chapter 1 Background reappeared

Thank you both for your help
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm glad your problem is sorted, although we haven't really got to the bottom of it...
tatewise wrote: 13 Apr 2021 14:00 Also, the Help only refers to images, so I don't understand how it affects this text problem.
Potentially, because it addresses a memory problem, Mike? You'll remember that it was first suggested during beta testing for handling strangely blank pages in books.