* family information fractured; how to combine?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
tdavislong
Silver
Family Historian: V6

family information fractured; how to combine?

Post by tdavislong » 18 Oct 2020 00:34

I gave a woman a child, who was actually her brother. When I changed the parentage for her 'child', she showed up in one family group and the 'brother' showed up with the same parents but as part of a different family. How can I get the two kids to show up together with their parents as part of one family.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: family information fractured; how to combine?

Post by tatewise » 18 Oct 2020 10:09

It sounds like you have accidentally created a second Family record for the parents and the brother.
Those two Family records need to be merged.

So in the Records Window open the Families tab to list all the Family records.

(If you don't have a Families tab use View > Record Lists > Families or use Tools > Preferences > Records Window and set Families: Always Show.)

Click the Family Records first column header to sort into surname order.
You should then find two adjacent entries with the same father and mother names.
(If necessary put the father's Last Name and First Name into the Filter at the top.)
Select both entries by holding down the Ctrl key while selecting them and then use Edit > Merge/Compare Records...
The two Family records will be listed in the right-hand pane of a Select Records To Be Merged dialogue.
Click on the Rec Id column to ensure they are in Record Id order, i.e. the earlier record is the primary merge record.

Click OK to open the Merge Records dialogue which should NOT suggest any items need to be discarded.
They should all be Add, or Keep, or Null Merge. If so then click the Merge button and that should solve the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

tdavislong
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Re: family information fractured; how to combine?

Post by tdavislong » 18 Oct 2020 15:22

Thanks