* Start up screen

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Jane Marilyn
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Start up screen

Post by Jane Marilyn » 20 Sep 2020 16:46

What can I do to make my current data set the one that opens when I open the program? Now it opens to a list of all databases, including the sample.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Start up screen

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 20 Sep 2020 17:30

On the top menu File > Project Window. Single-Click on the project to want to be the one that opens by default. Click the More Tasks... button and select Set as Default Project. You'll see a green tick against the project name, which tells you which is the default project.

To test it, click Exit application (bottom left in the Project Window) and restart FH.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Sep 2020 17:33

What you are seeing is the Project Window that lists all the Projects and presumably includes your main Project.
FH does that when no Project has been nominated as the Default Project.
So right-click on your main Project name and choose Set as Default Project. That is it.

You can always return to this Project Window via the File menu.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Jane Marilyn
Silver

Post by Jane Marilyn » 20 Sep 2020 17:55

Got it, Thanks.

Jane Marilyn
Silver

Post by Jane Marilyn » 20 Sep 2020 18:19

Actually that didn't do it. It gets a green thing next to it when I choose it as the selected project. When I exit and re-open it the choice of project is gone and I am back to the unmarked project windows.

I have a feeling that my copy of FH is not properly set up. How might I find out.? I can't tell you chapter and verse of my suspicion [- it is just a little off from what peopel say it should have.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Sep 2020 21:29

That does sound unusual but please try some other checks first.

Try selecting another Project such as the Family Historian Sample Project and Set as Default Project so it gets the green tick.
Then Exit and restart FH as before.
If that works for a couple of other Projects then we need to investigate what is different about your main Project.
e.g. Is it possible that something has upset the folders & files of that Project but not the others.

If Set as Default Project fails for a couple of other Projects then it may be worth trying to reinstall FH.
We can advise how to do that if you are unsure.

However, first try and make a couple of Projects the Default Project one at a time and report back.

Also can you think of anything out of the ordinary that has happened to your PC since FH opened your main Project correctly? e.g. Has there been a major update to Windows 10?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry