* Charting programs

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Klaus Yde
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Charting programs

Post by Klaus Yde »

I am looking for a good charting program to use together with FH or just with a gedcom file. I have earlier bought Charting Companion from Progeny, which I am not impressed with. It was wasted money :( .

I was especially interested in making "fractal trees"

Kind Regards

Klaus Yde, Denmark
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Charting programs

Post by E Wilcock »

I dont know what a fractal tree is.
One becomes attached to software one has used for a long time and I have just upgraded my Treedraw software (Spansoft).
I dont know if Treedraw does anything that fh cannot do. I suspect not. And maybe that is why I did not purchase an upgrade until I saw this post. But I want retain access to Treedraw trees I made in 2014.

TreeDraw partners the Legacy software, so I assume that if I want to use it with fh, I would have to choose the Legacy option for exporting a GEDCOM.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Maybe Zoompast? fhugdownloads:contents:service_zoompast|> Service ~ ZoomPast
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Klaus Yde wrote: 25 Aug 2020 12:43 I have earlier bought Charting Companion from Progeny, which I am not impressed with. It was wasted money :( .
Klaus,
I too find it unimpressive, especially when one has to wait for it to react to every small changes in FH. Their import GEDCOM routine is far too slow. If FH can load my 20,000+ ancestors in 1-2 seconds on startup, I can't see why Charting Companion needs 6-10 seconds to load the same GEDCOM, and which it needs to reload everytime you make a change in FH. I too stopped using it a long time ago.

Does anyone know if FH7 come with Fractal Trees diagrams? If it doesn't, perhaps we may need to add it to the wishlist for the future!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ikas
Platinum

Post by ikas »

Maybe Zoompast?
I had missed that, Helen. What a brilliant tree viewer. Best navigation I have ever seen. A great solution for anyone with a large tree.
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Thanks for the suggestions. I know Zoompast, but it is only a viewer. You cant print from it. I have attached a fracttal tree made with the Charting Companion. It is a very compagt tree. But I have seen some much better, but handmade :cry: .
Charting Companions version cant even format the names so they are fully inside the boxes :roll:
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you are looking mainly for Ancestor trees you could simply draw one in FH using text boxes and use the data link options to fill in the boxes as required. As Ancestor trees are a fixed format (i.e 1 child 2 parents) it would work similar to the Fan chart. There is a sample Ancestor chart which uses this method in the KB.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Hi Jane

I know - I was looking for programs better than the Charting Companion and which suplemented FH.

Kind Regards

Klaus Yde