* Hiding parts of a tree

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Parky
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Hiding parts of a tree

Post by Parky »

Hi, I am very new to Family Historian, I have version 6.2 upgraded to version 7. I have successfully gedcom an old Family History family tree. The tree on Family Historian is very flexible but I can't see how to "hide" parts of the tree. There are brown dots above and below some 'branches' that I can click on to hide that branch, if I save the tree the hidden branch reappears next time I turn on the software. I don't want to lose these branches completely, just leave them hidden when I am working on the tree. Do I have to treat this as a separate project? Or is there an easier way to hide these branches?
I appreciate any help given.
Parky
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Hiding parts of a tree

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Parky.

FYI: You have no doubt seen discussions about FH V7 but what you have installed is the latest FH V6 which is V6.2.7 because FH V7 will not be released until later this year with a big fanfare. See Update on V7 from Simon Orde (17850).

You have found one method for hiding branches of your tree by using Expansion Buttons.
You can also right-click on a box and choose Hide which will also hide any spouse and further Ancestors or Descendants.
In addition, you can use Diagram > Options > General tab and set Generations Up &/or Generations Down and those two settings will apply to all subsequent Diagrams.

However, the recommended way to preserve a carefully customised Diagram is to use Diagram > Save Diagram command or Diagram > Save Diagram As > Family Historian Chart to create a named FH Chart.
Such Diagram Charts are opened via View > Saved Charts.
Although they preserve your customisations they are not 'frozen' and any changes you make to your data will update the Chart box details and even add new relatives.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Parky
Silver

Post by Parky »

Hi tatewise. Many thanks for the various solutions. I will check out which suits best. Thank you.
Parky
Parky
Silver

Post by Parky »

Thanks again tatewise. Your help was much appreciated. As recommended I followed the 'Save Diagram As' option. However, a little oddity now seems to appear. When I Close or Save the tree it reappears when opened as squashed on the screen, the tree is the full width of the screen but the generations squashed to enable it to fit. I can resize by going to Zoom and then select Actual size or press the '+' button. However, it doesn't default to the correct size but returns as squashed when I reopen. I suspect I have gone wrong somewhere but how can I default to the correct size?
Thanks for any help to solve this irritation.
Parky
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You have not gone wrong. That is one of the differences between opening a Diagram and opening a Chart.

Diagrams always open with 100% Zoom = Actual Size.

Charts always open with Zoom adjusted so that everything is displayed.
They are not 'squashed'. The aspect ratio and dimensions are exactly the same as a Diagram.
i.e. It is as if the Fit Window button or Diagram > Zoom > View Whole Diagram command had been used.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Don't forget you can save smaller diagrams of family groups you are working on - it doesn't have to be your entire tree. Then there may be no need to zoom.

Also, if you know roughly which part of the chart you want to look at you can use the left-most of the two manifying glass icons and draw a rectangle to select the area view. Then there is no need to scroll to get to the area you want. I find this more useful than a simple zoom, which keeps the chart centred.
Lorna
Parky
Silver

Post by Parky »

Thank you Mike & Lorna for your guidance about the distinction between Diagrams & Charts. I had assumed it would make sense for FH to return to a re-opened chart as it was when you closed it down, including the Scale. There is a reference on page 89 in the official guide that discuses 'Charts vs Working Documents'. But that concludes 'Saved diagrams are also sometimes called charts'.

Looking further ahead is there any way I can put a heading (or title) on a Chart and a footnote on a chart so I can put my initials and date when I have completed this exercise? I couldn't find anything in the official guide index.

Thanks for any help.
Parky
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, there are options on the Diagram > Insert into Diagram menu and Text Box adds a box similar to many word-processors.
Having drawn the box, and while it is selected, either right-click it or use Diagram command and choose Format.
There are many options on four tabs that let you design titles, footers, etc.
It is even possible to use Data References to include text derived from Individuals in the Diagram.
Parky
Silver

Post by Parky »

Thanks Mike, that works fine.
Parky