* Exporting query results to MS Access

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Exporting query results to MS Access

Post by E Wilcock »

One possibility I notice would be to save the query results set in MS Excel or MS Access.

One can save the result set from a query as a comma separated file with the column headings but do I need the Ansi or the other version?

I have several times tried to do this over the past few years and failed to do yet again today. I may be saving the fh results file as the wrong file type.

Is this something you or another experienced use have done as I would be grateful for some advice. I own the curent version of MS Access 16.
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Exporting query results to MS Access

Post by Valkrider »

I use the plain csv option for my exports into Excel without issue. I don't use Access any more but I seem to remember that there is an option to import a CSV file into a new database.

What exact problem are you having with your exports?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The easiest method is to use the CSV File (ANSI) option and include the column headings.
When the CSV file is saved you are prompted to open it in MS Excel and that usually works fine.
The only drawback is if your data has Unicode symbols or accented foreign language characters, then they will be replaced with a question mark (?).

The CSV File option saves in UTF-16 Unicode format retaining symbols or accented foreign language characters, but it is more difficult to open in MS Excel as explained below.
Decline the prompt to open the saved file and independently open MS Excel with a blank spreadsheet.
On its Data tab select From Text/CSV and browse to and Import the saved CSV file.
It should automatically choose File Origin 1200: Unicode and display a sample of the data.
If it looks OK then click Load to import the CSV data.

ExcelCSV.png
ExcelCSV.png (126.02 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you want to import it into Access, not Excel, open Access with a blank database and go to the External Data menu item. Then select New Data Source > From File > Text File. Select your csv that you exported from Fh. Access will steer you through the import.