* Pictures

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
kcuypers
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Pictures

Post by kcuypers »

Hello,

In the past 28 years, I collected a lot of pictures of deeds or photos.
I don't have any problems with FH or on my website at this moment, I just want to put everything nicely in one subdir together, if this is possible.

This is my dir tree, as you can see the FHproject name is "koenzonder"

"C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media"
13.283 pictures - deeds or photos
"C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media\KoenNieuw"
0 pictures - deeds or photos
"C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media\KoenNieuw\KoenNieuw.fh_data"
0 pictures - deeds or photos
"C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media\KoenNieuw\KoenNieuw.fh_data\Media"
58 pictures - deeds or photos
"C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media\KoenNieuw\KoenNieuw.fh_data\Media\Koen-Medias"
11.494 pictures - deeds or photos

So, is there a way to put this all together in one subdir
"C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media" ?
Manually to change every deed path in the FH program is impossible (11.494 pictures)

Greetings

Koenraad
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Pictures

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you can put all your files in the one default Project Media folder:
C:\Users\koenr\Documents\Family Historian Projects\koenzonder\koenzonder.fh_data\Media

It is advisable to ensure you have FH Full Project Backup or other backup of all your pictures, deeds or photo files.

Use Windows File Explorer and carefully Move all your files from those other folders into that Media folder.
It is important to use Move and NOT Copy so that those sub-folders are all empty.
You can also delete all those sub-folders, leaving just the top Media folder with about 24,835 files.

One problem you might discover is duplicate files with the same filename.
Windows File Explorer will report them and let you keep both, but one will gain a (2) filename suffix.

In FH use Tools > External File Links which will mark broken links with an X for all the moved files.
Click the Auto Repair Links button and all the broken links should be corrected to refer to the Media folder.

If there were any duplicate files reported by Windows File Explorer they will need investigating.
Use the following Plugins to review your Media especially if there were duplicates:
Check for Broken Media Links attached to Re: Linked media files Fri 8th May 2020 15:40
Check for Unlinked Media from Plugin Store to check for files not linked to a Media record.
Check for Possible Duplicate Media from Plugin Store to check for two Media records linked to same file.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
kcuypers
Platinum

Re: Pictures

Post by kcuypers »

Thanks Mike,
You help me a lot

Greetings

Koenraad