* Query results in Family facts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Query results in Family facts

Post by E Wilcock »

I moved to fh from TMG which did not use family facts.
I am working on Place studies and looking at the divorces. In fh divorce is a family fact.
A query brings up a list of all divorced couples listed as couples posessing this family fact.

I need a results list from which I can click on an individual name to select it and use the focus icon to go to the person.

Until today I used the search icon to pull up anything with the word Divorce but that brings up notes such as e.g. parents divorced. Will I have to go back to doing this?
Or can I get a list of individuals when running a query for a family fact?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Query results in Family facts

Post by tatewise »

Take a look at the fhugdownloads:contents:family_list_by_record_id|> Downloads > Query:Family ~ Family List by Record ID which shows Husband and Wife in Columns and borrow its expressions.

In the Family Query, on the Columns tab, look at the options on the left for Husband, Wife and Child.

You can change the Columns from %FAM.MARR[1].DATE% to %FAM.DIV[1].DATE% and similarly for PLAC.

On the Rows tab use filter expression Add unless %FAM.DIV% is null

Once you get the hang of it, Family records are really useful as they have direct links to all the family members, including both spouses and the children.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. I will do this. I didnt know there were family queries.
You taught me fact queries and Jane showed me individual queries. But I didnt get as far as family queries.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, With apologies. I have written and run this query. The results are exactly what I want. Thank you.

And it is very useful to accidentally have the number of children of the divorced couple also showing.

I notice (for the first time) that when one runs a query and looks at the results, the cursor turns to a little cross.
What is the significance of that cross?

If I put it on a name and click, the focus icon is greyed out.
I woud like to click on any of the names to focus on that person?
I am rather confused as sometimes that seems to work and sometimes not? But I cant work out what I am doing wrong.

Unlike you, I fear I am becoming increasingly confused with age. But I am now writing up the information I put into fh and all that data input will have been wasted unless I set my mind to recovering it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The cross icon means you can hold down the left mouse button and drag to select cells.
The selected cells can then be copied to the Windows clipboard, or selected records added to a Named List.

The Focus icon only applies to Individual records.
You can identify records in the Query Result Set because they have the record's icon on the left of the cell.
In this Family Query the Column Expression is %FAM.HUSB[1]>NAME[1]% which is the Primary Name field not a record.
Replace that expression with %FAM.HUSB>% which is a link to an Individual record and the Focus will work.
Don't forget to do the same for the WIFE.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike. You are completely brilliant.
You always exceed my hopes as I didnt even think it could be done.
And now so quickly, doing as you described, I have my divorce data just as I need it.
Thank you very much