* word wrapping in source windows

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mlfreyder
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

word wrapping in source windows

Post by mlfreyder »

is there a setting to make the "where within source" window word wrap to a second text line are larger? my text are too large for the default window size and scrolling is a pain.

Ver 6

Mike Freyder
PeterR
Megastar

Re: word wrapping in source windows

Post by PeterR »

This is a GEDCOM limitation. The standard allows only a single line of up to 248 characters:
SOURCE_CITATION: =
[
n SOUR @<XREF:SOUR>@ /* pointer to source record */ {1:1}
+1 PAGE <WHERE_WITHIN_SOURCE> {0:1}
WHERE_WITHIN_SOURCE: = {Size=1:248}
Specific location with in the information referenced. For a published work, this could include the volume of a multi-volume work and the page number(s). For a periodical, it could include volume, issue, and page numbers. For a newspaper, it could include a column number and page number. For an unpublished source, this could be a sheet number, page number, frame number, etc. A census record might have a line number or dwelling and family numbers in addition to the page number.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Long extracts should be placed in Text from Source and not where within source.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Mike explains in Query to show Source notes (17845), they do look more like Where within Source than Text From Source.

Strictly speaking, as discussed many times before, that GEDCOM size of 248 is a minimum requirement, not a maximum.
GEDCOM says "The field sizes show the minimum recommended field length within a database that is constrained to
fixed length fields."
But the existing Where with Source box does not even support 248 characters very well
Anyway, FH does not set a limit on that field size and happily accepts and Saves in GEDCOM text of any length.
I have just done so with about 400 characters, even though GEDCOM lines should be limited to 255 characters.
If such long lines are allowed, then such 'short text fields' need a better way of supporting them.

See Wish List entry Ref 545 Edit box for short Text fields and Vote for it.

The only way to make more of that Where within Source box visible is to widen its yellow Source Citations pane.
If necessary float the Property Box, then drag the vertical divider to the left and drag the window right-hand edge to the right.
WiderBox.png
WiderBox.png (30.21 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mlfreyder
Diamond

Post by mlfreyder »

Thanks Mike, I voted and agree with your comments, and thanks for taking the time to fully reply. Currently while doing research I have the web open, reading microfilms, FH open with the records list showing, and the individual window floating to enter the data, with sources showing.

I have dual monitors, one 40" and one 22" to see what I have now!!! Not sure where I would put another floating box....
good suggestion. I'll try to figure it out.

A wrapped text box would be perfect. Just need a few more characters. Did you see my reply to Lorna? it shows what the data looks like.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Another option I forgot, if your eyesight is good, is to reduce the font size (for whole Property Box).
Click the top cog icon Menu > Text Size and tick Small or select Custom... and choose your Text font.

PropertyBoxMenuTextSizeSmall.png
PropertyBoxMenuTextSizeSmall.png (70.26 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
mlfreyder
Diamond

Post by mlfreyder »

That works well, but I was thinking of making the text LARGER! 65 with onset of MD, that is why the 40" monitor!!! Great help, much appreciated.
I think I will size depending on what my operation is at the time.
Stay safe!
Mike
mlfreyder
Diamond

Post by mlfreyder »

So this text selection works well for the individual editing box, how about the names and titles edit box? That is where I need larger text.

suggestions?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One of the infuriating aspects of FH is that despite many custom options, some things just can not be customised at all, and the Names & Titles dialogue text format is one of them. Sorry.

I sympathise with your problem as I had similar issues before I had my cataract operations.
The only general solution is to adjust the Windows default font size via right-click Desktop and Display Settings where it is possible to Change the size of text and use Advanced scaling settings.
mlfreyder
Diamond

Post by mlfreyder »

thx Mike