* linking individual to family

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wigansaint
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

linking individual to family

Post by wigansaint »

I have traced my great(x3) grandparents (Thomas and Ellen) back to the 1841 census.All of which I have entered using AS. In the 1851 census they have a son (George) aged 12.In the 1841 census he would be 2, but I cannot find him with his parents.However after further research I have found him living with who I believe to be his maternal grandparents,described as a "nurse child".If I enter the information for the 1841census for the grandparents how can I ensure the child George is recorded as a son of Thomas and Ellen in FH, either via AS or FH?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: linking individual to family

Post by LornaCraig »

I assume you have already created an individual record for George, either from within FH or when entering the 1851 census details in AS. When you are recording the 1841 census for the grandparents, make sure you select the right 'George' to add to their census household, either by selecting him from the Find Name list at top right or by navigating to him via the grandparents' children (his parents) in the lower right section. I would then add notes in three places in FH afterwards: (1) against George's 1841 census fact, saying that he is believed to have been with his maternal grandparents. (2) against the grandparetns' 1841 census fact, saying the child with them is believed to be their grandson, (3) against the parents' 1841 census fact, saying their son George was not with them but appears to have been with his grandparents.

The 1841 census didn't record relationships between household members and normally didn't record anything against children, so the 'nurse child' description is unusual for that census. (Is it in the occupation column?) It might be rash to assume the couple looking after him as a 'nurse child' were his grandparents, unless you have independent evidence for their names, ages, occupations etc.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I assuming you have everyone entered into FH already.
You can use AS to capture all the Census records in the usual way as explained by Lorna.

If you have not already done, so you can add George to his parents by displaying Tomas & Ellen in Focus Window and click Add Child > Link Existing Record and choose George.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wigansaint
Diamond

Post by wigansaint »

Thanks for the information. Yes the description "nurse child" was in the employment column.