* Cannot start Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gfpgfp
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Cannot start Family Historian

Post by gfpgfp »

Hi,
Please help!

I have just purchased version 6 FH & successfully installed from CD, then upgraded online to v6.2.7.
FH works well except that on random? occasions it will not start - the splash screen appears, then nothing. To restart, I have had to switch off AVG antivirus and Windows Defender firewall, which is insecure.

I am running 64 bit Windows 10 home v 1903 OS build 18362.836.

Thanks

Gordon
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Cannot start Family Historian

Post by Jane »

It's most likely AVG being over protective.

Try excluding the FH exe from scanning in AVG and see if that helps.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

I have disabled AVG scanning the Family Historian (including the .EXE file) and Calico Pie folders with no effect. Unfortunately I still have to disable AVG. Can you suggest any other fix?

Gordon
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If disabling AVG sidesteps the problem, then perhaps you have not chosen all the appropriate folders/files.
Please copy & paste here the paths of the folders you have excluded, so we can review what you have chosen.

A screenshot of the AVG exclusion page would be a good alternative.
See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice on attaching screenshot images.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Thanks.

As you suggest, I have attached a screenshot of the excluded files.

Gordon
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (392.31 KiB) Viewed 10214 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The only other global FH folder that may be worth adding is C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\* which is where most of the customisation files are written and read. The wildcard * should exclude all subfolders & files.

Another idea is to add C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\fh.exe to the AVG Blocked and Allowed apps list as an Allowed app.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It's also worth complaining to AVG as it's causing the problem, they may be able to give you more detailed instructions and maybe even fix the AV.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Thanks for your help - unfortunately I still have the problem & will contact AVG. In the meantime I can still use FH if I switch off AVG, start FH & then Switch on AVG. I just hope that this doesn't lead to any other problems!

Gordon
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is strange, there must be some other file somewhere that AVG does not like.
Does AVG produce any log in C:\ProgramData\AVG\Antivirus\report ?

See https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000Doo8AAC that explains how to perform a deep scan with reporting enabled and may identify what AVG does not like.

BTW: I recommend updating Windows 10 to version 1909 which only take a few minutes, does not change the OS core, and just enables some pre-installed features.
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

gfpgfp wrote: 15 May 2020 08:12 Hi,
Please help!

I have just purchased version 6 FH & successfully installed from CD, then upgraded online to v6.2.7.
FH works well except that on random? occasions it will not start - the splash screen appears, then nothing. To restart, I have had to switch off AVG antivirus and Windows Defender firewall, which is insecure.

Thanks

Gordon
It's a while since I had to worry about windows and anti-virus (I'm on linux with different arrangements!), but:
  • Have you had AVG specifically scan the FH program directories without complaint?
  • Are you confident about the source of your purchased CDs? Do they "look right"?
I never like excepting anything from review by security software - just in case it contained something "nasty".
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Problem solved!

I uninstalled AVG & I now use Avast - FH now works perfectly

Thanks for your help

Gordon
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With Windows 10, there is no real need to use AVG or Avast, as Windows Defender is perfectly adequate these days.
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Fairly soon after submitting my last reply, I had the same problem but with AVAST anivirus this time - FH does not start - the splash screen appears, then nothing. I have also discovered that the 'Report - Save report as - PDF' function does not work unless AVAST is switched off. This is something I can live with but is obviously not ideal.

I have attached a screenshot showing Calico Pie & FH are excluded from AVAST scans
AVAST exceptions.png
AVAST exceptions.png (28.13 KiB) Viewed 9370 times
Any suggestions?

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I can't help thinking there must be some other underlying problem, but don't know what.
My FH V6.2.7 has run happily for years with Avast Free Antivirus on Windows 10 Home (currently v1909).
My Avast has no Exceptions for FH at all. Are you saying yours are needed to let FH start?
Its Menu > About version details are:

AvastVersion.png
AvastVersion.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 9367 times
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

And I never have any problems running FH v6.2.7 with AVG AntiVirus Free on Windows 10 Pro version 2004. And my AVG has no exceptions for FH at all.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Thanks for your reply.
When I first had this problem with AVG antivirus, I was advised to include these exceptions - without success. I then changed to AVAST (made by the same people?) which initially worked. Fairly soon the same problem occurred ie splash screen only when starting FH, but ok when AVAST disabled.

I thought I should report the problem again when I discovered that the PDF report function also required AVAST to be turned off. The error message is below:
PDF AVAST.png
PDF AVAST.png (72.18 KiB) Viewed 9351 times
GFPGFP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That does not look like an Avast error message.
It just looks like PDF Viewer Plus has a problem opening the file.
If you use Windows File Explorer does that PDF file exist?
Can it be opened by another PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat which is almost certainly installed?

I think you are saying that when FH fails to start there are no error messages, but it simply does not run.

I notice you have several other applications running at the same time, and also use Dropbox.
There is also a printer icon that suggests some printout is happening.
What else is running in the notification area via the up-arrow - should include Avast, but what else?

Are your FH Project files held in Dropbox?
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

You are correct - the error message is from PDF Viewer Plus. The PDF file exists & is as shown in my previous post (ie with the error message) & is the same with any other PDF viewer. Interestingly, there is no problem producing a Word report. The report is produced ok with no AVAST, but produces the error message when AVAST is running.

You are correct - when FH fails to start there are no error messages, but it simply does not run.

Project files are stored on my C drive. The Dropbox icon is permanently displayed & just shows that it is up to date. The printer icon appears whenever I print but also when I try to print the PDF file - the printer makes a noise, but no printout - just the error message.

For what it's worth, I think what is happening is PDF viewer is starting, but AVAST is stopping the report data being transmitted.

GFPGFP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I'd forgotten that printer icon appears when the Family Historian PDF 'printer' is running.
But your physical printer should not be involved at all.

When you use the Save Report As > PDF File option, the screen should look like that shown below.
Note that the Printer: is Family Historian PDF and it saving in the Public folder.
Try re-installing the Family Historian PDF driver as explained in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#option_1_reinstallation|> Option 1 Reinstallation for FH V5+.

FHPDFreport.png
FHPDFreport.png (48.72 KiB) Viewed 9323 times
gfpgfp
Gold

Post by gfpgfp »

Thanks - my screen is the same as your example.

I have reinstalled the PDF driver - no change.

I think I'll have to live with the problem.

GFPGFP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My gut feeling is that it is an installation problem of some sort.
When you install FH do you ensure no other applications are running, and right-click the downloaded FH V6.2.7 installation file and choose Run as administrator even though you are signed in to an Administrator account.
It may even be worth installing in Safe Mode as explained in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#windows_safe_mode|> Windows Safe Mode.

As an experiment try running FH without any other applications running at all, just in case they are interfering.
I noticed that you had 7 other applications running along with FH in your earlier screenshot.

BTW: Did you check your Avast version against my screenshot?
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

It also looks like you have several PDF programs installed (Nova PDF, PDF Viewer plus, as well as (Probably ) some version of Adobe Acrobat viewer).
Try disabling the view report after creation option (I think 2 programs are trying to open the report at the same time)
Also try uninstalling PDF viewer Plus.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John's suggestion to inhibit the PDF viewer is a good idea, just to see what happens.
In my screenshot, see the top left dialogue and under After save action untick Open PDF with default viewer.

John, can you please explain your comment that "2 programs are trying to open the report at the same time".
How is that possible?
In Windows, only one default program can be formally associated with a particular file type such as .pdf.