* Linked errors with new media

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
JP Ford
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Linked errors with new media

Post by JP Ford »

I keep getting media errors when I Validate after uploading new media to existing records. An example is:
  1. I find a birth certificate for John Doe
  2. I download the certificate image and save it to my "bdm" subdirectory under FH media.
  3. I attach said image (using Show Media...Add Media for Citation) to the citation for the birth of John Doe
  4. I find other records and do the same thing with 5-6 images with additional individuals and citations.
If I now "Save" the FH file, then Validate, I will get validation errors telling me there is "X number of media errors" and then list of the new media images I just completed, telling me there is a "bad link to Media record found". If I choose to "fix" this error, it will show me that the "bad media link" has been fixed.

These media are being linked correctly, AFAIK, and they should not have errors.
  • They are valid media files and they are in proper subdirectories of the FH project Media folder.
  • They show up in the citation, in the list media linked for that individual, in the media properties box, in the main Media list, and in other places I would expect them to show up.
  • If I go to the media properties box, the path is correct.
  • If I go to the individual page and look at All, the links are correct and they point to the correct path.
What, exactly is the problem here? Why does FH think that all newly attached media has a bad link?
Researching SORRELL and SORELLE families and associated lines.
https://sorrellnotes.us
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Linked errors with new media

Post by tatewise »

Hi Joel,
I have tried to repeat those symptoms but cannot get File > Validate to fail.
I've tried using Show Media > Add Media for Citation > Insert From File and also Drag media files here.

You say the error is a bad link to Media record found which implies a link from the Citation to the Media record rather than from Media record to the File.

I believe you are running FH in a VM in Linux and wonder if that may have an impact albeit unlikely.

The usual cure-all that I suggest is to re-install the latest free download of FH V6.2.7 and see if that fixes the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

I run FH under Wine and Linux and have tripped up through trying to be "clever"

I have a virtual C drive where FH lives and I have defined a virtual G drive for my Genealogy work. My Project window tells me my default path is G:\... etc.

If I am adding media from a file and using a file browser and go via the C drive, I will add media but with a much longer path. FH gets a bit upset about this - although not quite as badly as you seem to be suffering.

Ideally you need to add using the defined default drive; but if you don't you need to edit the path (basically trim off everything prior to the \media\..... bit - because if using the default drive you can use a relative path rather than a full absolute one).
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@davidf ~ Firstly, I believe Joel is running FH in Windows in a VM which should be very similar to a native Windows OS, and secondly, he is putting the Media image files inside the Project's Media folder so the Media record File link path is already a relative path starting Media\... and thus about as short as it could possibly be.

It is NOT simply using the default drive that allows File link relative paths starting with Media\....
Such relative paths are ONLY supported if the Media files are within the Project's own Media folder.

@davidf ~ If you have been manually trimming Media record File link paths in the way you suggest, I advise you use the Tools > External File Links command to check for broken file links, or run the Check for Broken File Links Plugin attached to posting Re: Linked media files Fri 8th May 2020 15:40.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I agree with @davidf's analysis of the behaviour that can occur when running software in a Virtual Machine (VM). Much depends on where user data is stored, i.e. within the VM (Guest), where behaviour should be entirely consistent with a 'normal' Windows installation, or on the Host Machine/another networked Drive accessed via 'network shared folders'. The standard 'shared folders' facility provided by VirtualBox; and also by other virtualisation software, is only suited to data transfer and can miss-behave if used for full data access, because it lacks advanced features needed to protect user data; and so full network sharing is always recommended if data access/editing is intended using software installed in a VM.

In my experience, if networked shared folders are used, then it is advisable to watch for the creation of links being created with long path names commencing with a Drive Letter; and which may involve identifiable network paths. They usually can be shortened manually to the correct relative path, if spotted immediately, as davidf described, or using by the other methods described by Mike Tate, which would be particularly helpful in identifying/correcting any wider problem. Or a simple scroll down the 'File' column of the Media Records Tab will also identify any records that start with 'Z:\', or similar, rather than 'Media\'.

I haven't, so far, tracked which linking method(s) specifically cause this behaviour. Haven't seen it when using Ancestral Sources, so it may be more likely that it occurs when navigating to the Media Folder to perform manual linking or when using 'drag and drop'.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@Mervyn, I don't believe davidf is using a VM as he specifies Wine which is an emulator and very different to a VM.
However, you are suggesting that a VM can exhibit similar issues.
But that is nothing to do with Joel's problem because he is putting his media inside the Project's Media folder.
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Mike

To clarify I am putting all my media in the project's media folder. It is just that when you are working with emulators or VMs (particularly if they use quaint ideas like lettered drives) you can get into all sorts of tangles if it is possible to specify two different paths to the same (media) folder.

True, with an emulator like Wine all "wine drives" are definable by means of a Linux path; but I suspect with Linux as a host you can do the same with VMs. It is something that I plan to try to do when I trial Lubuntu 20.04.1 with Wine and FH7 in a VirtualBox.

However, if FH expects the path to the media folder to start "G:\.." but it starts "C:\ ..." (or anything else like a pure Linux path), I think it gets in a bit of a tizzy and does not want to believe that the media is actually in the media folder.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

tatewise wrote: 10 May 2020 15:53 The usual cure-all that I suggest is to re-install the latest free download of FH V6.2.7 and see if that fixes the problem.
That seems a bit of heavy hammer. I think I'll avoid that as long as I can.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! I understand better now, thank you.
I guess it might just be possible that is what Joel is experiencing, as he does not explicitly say that a relative Media\... path is registered initially. The File > Validation may be automatically performing that adjustment.

Joel, what exactly is the media file path added to the Media record in FH initially and what is it after validation?
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

To clarify my setup and paths, VM, etc.

I am running FH under a Windows 7 VirtualBox VM. Virtualbox is running under my primary desktop, which is Linux KDE. All my genealogical and photo data is shared via a folder structure on a Network Attached Storage (NAS). That NAS folder is mapped to a drive in my Windows VM. My FH project and all media files are maintained there and FH looks to that path for project, media, etc. This is my default backup path in FH settings as well.

So, when I download and save an image, it is saved to my FH project directory media sub-folder. On my Windows VM, that path is: F:\Family Historian Projects\Sorrell\Sorrell.fh_data\Media\SUBDIRNAME
The projects directory path for FH is: F:\Family Historian Projects\
My default startup file is F:\Family Historian Projects\Sorrell\Sorrell.fh_data\Sorrell.ged

If I look at All Media via "Media...View All Media", I can see that all media contains the relative path "Media\subfolder\filename.ext" This is true as well for the Media tab in the main Records view.

If I'm understanding the points made by @mjashby and @davidf , it seems that FH is adding the file as it should, but it is adding it with the full file path and needs to convert this to a relative path, thus the "error". Is that right? If so, it would seem that the simplest solution is to simply run validate after adding new images, Yes? No?
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

tatewise wrote: 10 May 2020 20:39 Ah! I understand better now, thank you.
I guess it might just be possible that is what Joel is experiencing, as he does not explicitly say that a relative Media\... path is registered initially. The File > Validation may be automatically performing that adjustment.
Joel, what exactly is the media file path added to the Media record in FH initially and what is it after validation?
Haven't looked that closely, but I will check it next time I add an image.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If FH is behaving correctly, then if the media file you add selects the F:\Family Historian Projects\Sorrell\Sorrell.fh_data\Media\... path then FH should automatically truncate it to the relative Media\... path. It does that for me.

I think @mjashby and @davidf are suggesting that it is possible to select some alternative path for the same media file but involving a different drive letter. FH may not recognise that as a path that can be truncated to the relative Media\... path.
The Validate may be clever enough to realise those different paths are equivalent and yield the relative Media\... path.
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. The path is permanently mapped with admin-level permissions and FH is obviously aware of it and okay with the path as an accessible drive for accessing project files and media. It's a conundrum...
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

Okay, today I attempted to replicate my previous issue by doing two different image attachments. First, I used Ancestral Sources to add a census entry and attached a newly downloaded image (saved to my ".../Media/census/" folder the same as before) . Upon saving the census entry, I reviewed the new media path in the properties box, the Records window media tab, and the External File Links listing. In each, the media path was relative as usual, i.e. "Media\census\FILENAME.jpg". I then ran Validate and got no errors at all.

I also manually added a recently downloaded image to a new citation; same process, but saved in a different subfolder, i.e. \Media\military\FILENAME.jpg. After adding the image via the "Show Media...Add Media for Citation" dialogue, I checked the same three areas noted above and the path was accurate. Once again, on running Validate, I got no errors.

About 30 minutes later, I reopened FH to add another citation image, same process as before. This time, I got a Validate error. All areas indicate the attached image is appropriately attached and all paths are accurate and relative to "Media\...". Tools...External File Links does NOT show any issue. Yet, the Validate function reports an error:

Code: Select all

Family Historian Validation Report - Monday 11 May 2020
===============================================================
Media Record Id=3540 (draft-card-wwI-Paul-E-Turnell): bad link to Media record found.  This has not been fixed.
(001).png
(001).png (189.54 KiB) Viewed 10390 times
(002).png
(002).png (18.98 KiB) Viewed 10390 times
(003).png
(003).png (60.32 KiB) Viewed 10390 times
The link to the individual record/event citation also appears to be okay:

This has caused me to rethink my FH sessions over the past few days, which reminded me of something. There is a known bug in VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15478) where the executable "VBoxTray.exe" causes the guest VM to use excessive CPU cycles, eventually causing the entire VM to slow to the point of termination. This bug has been around for over two years now and is still not resolved in all configuration, mine included. VBoxTray.exe manages shared
features, such as drag and drop, file copy and Clipboard sharing between Host and Guest. My solution to the bug has been to simply disable VBoxTray.exe when the system starts becoming sluggish. This only disables the features mentioned, which are not required for VM operation, and the guest system returns to normal operation instantly.

I do not think that disabling this is causing the path problem. Indeed, it is NOT disabled when the issue does appear above. But, I'm starting to think that the bug itself may be causing a problem. That is purely a guess, and based only on the fact that I cannot duplicate this problem during today's session.
Last edited by JP Ford on 11 May 2020 14:11, edited 2 times in total.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Example:

Family Historian running in a Windows 10 VM on VirtualBox with all Data held on the Host Computer

1. Added Image to the 'Media/Monumental Inscriptions' folder in a FH Project
2. Created a Media Record in Family Historian as shown in the attachment.
3. Added the media image by navigating to the Media Folder\Monumental Inscriptions Folder and selecting the image
4. Result Path to Media = Z:\Family Historian Projects\...

From this, I believe the issue is caused by navigating to a 'Networked Drive' to select the image file, possibly because Family Historian as a 'pure' Desktop app is , understandably, not network aware.

Mervyn
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 14.46.40.png
Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 14.46.40.png (63.18 KiB) Viewed 10395 times
Last edited by mjashby on 11 May 2020 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

mjashby wrote: 11 May 2020 14:02 Example:

Family Historian running in a Windows 10 VM on VirtualBox with all Data held on the Host Computer

1. Added Image to the 'Media/Monumental Inscriptions' folder in a FH Project
2. Created a Media Record in Family Historian as shown in the attachment.
3. Added the media image by navigating to the Media Folder\Monumental Insctions Folder and selecting the image
4. Result Path to Media = Z:\Family Historian Projects\...

From this, I believe the issue is caused by navigating to a 'Networked Drive' to select the image file, possibly because Family Historian as a 'pure' Desktop app is , understandably, not network aware.

Mervyn
I'm not adding media that way, but my path always appears as relative... "\Media\SUBFOLDER\FILENAME.EXT". Understandably, that path is actually pointing to my mapped LAN target: "F:\Family Historian Projects\Sorrell\Sorrell.fh_data\Media\SUBFOLDER/FILENAME.EXT", but the full path never appears in any of my media records. Also, if FH not being network aware is the problem, then why would ANY of my media show up and pass inspection (validation, external media links, etc.)? Why ONLY after a new addition and WHY not after EVERY new addition? To muddy the waters, let me note that this has only recently been happening, I've been using this setup for some months now without this issues... (makes you go HMMMMM?, doesn't it).

Adding to the confusion, the media path in all areas, is the same before and after Validation. Nothing has changed, so what is Validation doing to "fix" the "error"?
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I don't really have an answer for you, I only know that that the method I described auto-creates an absolute, rather than the usual relative, File Path. I'm open to any suggestions as to why this happens, but can't see it being a Family Historian 'bug' as I've never experienced any similar problem arising with a traditional Windows PC installation.
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

mjashby wrote: 11 May 2020 14:33 I don't really have an answer for you, I only know that that the method I described auto-creates an absolute, rather than the usual relative, File Path. I'm open to any suggestions as to why this happens.
Understood and appreciate your input. I'm unclear as to what method you are using add your media file. You say "Created a Media Record in Family Historian as shown in the attachment.", but the screencap alone doesn't tell me what you're actually doing to add it - it just shows me the media properties window. As you can see, my media properties window does not look like yours.
(005).png
(005).png (41.24 KiB) Viewed 10375 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if the clue is in the Validation message referring to (draft-card-wwI-Paul-E-Turnell) ?
Whereas the filename is service-card-Paul-Edward-Turnell.jpg
Maybe there is some Meta-data or Tag in the image file that FH thinks disagrees with the Media Record.
This may be related to the Tools > Preferences > Media > Copy Image Tag Values to the Media Record setting.

BTW: Your Media Property Boxes are different because:-
@JP Ford ~ Has no toolbar icons top right because it is a Docked Property Box
@mjashby ~ Has customised the fields to hide Keywords and is a Floating box
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Sorry, not sure what you mean about the screenshots being different. Apart from the text content; and that fact that I 'chopped off' the lower portion of the screen to focus more on the file path created they are identical. As far as the creation process: I just used the media 'screen' pictured below and right-clicked to bring up the prompts.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 16.08.06.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 16.08.06.jpg (218.87 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

mjashby wrote: 11 May 2020 15:20 Sorry, not sure what you mean about the screenshots being different. Apart from the text content; and that fact that I 'chopped off' the lower portion of the screen to focus more on the file path created they are identical. As far as the creation process: I just used the media 'screen' pictured below and right-clicked to bring up the prompts.
The first difference is in the file path shown for your media file; yours is an absolute path. Mine is a relative path. If I add a file the way you have shown here (using the Media records window), my path is never absolute - it is always relative. This may be because my mapped LAN path is the primary path for all FH activity, so it is the primary location for my default startup project in "Tools...Preferences...Startup" and the primary path for all projects in the Project List location (File...Project Window...More Tasks...Project List). None of my FH project files are located on a local drive. They're all on the mapped LAN drive, so FH recognizes that path as the base path of all my FH files, media included.

Secondly, you appear to be adding a media record directly into the database in the Media Records window (right-click in Media tab of the Records Window... select New Multimedia Object) , as opposed to adding it to a specific fact/citation using "Add Media for Fact/Citation", which is what I'm doing. I don't ever add a new media record the way you're doing it. Methinks we may be approaching media from different perspectives...

I'd be curious to know if your FH is configured to find all project files on your mapped LAN drive as mine is or if all your project files are on a local drive and you're only adding occasional media from a mapped LAN source?
JP Ford
Diamond

Post by JP Ford »

tatewise wrote: 11 May 2020 15:07 I wonder if the clue is in the Validation message referring to (draft-card-wwI-Paul-E-Turnell) ?
Whereas the filename is service-card-Paul-Edward-Turnell.jpg
Maybe there is some Meta-data or Tag in the image file that FH thinks disagrees with the Media Record.
This may be related to the Tools > Preferences > Media > Copy Image Tag Values to the Media Record setting.

BTW: Your Media Property Boxes are different because:-
@JP Ford ~ Has no toolbar icons top right because it is a Docked Property Box
@mjashby ~ Has customised the fields to hide Keywords and is a Floating box
Hmmm... interesting. I do not have that option checked. That appears to be related to image metadata, which I'd prefer to not be auto-imported.

Yes, my comment about the difference was related purely to the path shown. His is absolute, mine is and always is relative...

As an aside... while this discussion has ensured, I've added at least four additional new images to events/citations without any errors at all. It's very strange... We may just need to chalk this up to Unexplained Mysteries...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if you can inspect the service-card-Paul-Edward-Turnell.jpg image file to investigate its meta-data.
(Perhaps inspect the original download rather than the FH Media copy that Validate may have modified.)

Use an image editor such as IrfanView and use Image > Information > EXIF Info
Or use File Explorer to right-click the Properties > Details

Does that reveal the text draft-card-wwI-Paul-E-Turnell ?
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I frequently get this error after adding media. Am running Windows 10, FH6.2.7 on standard PC.

To resolve I view all the media links via the media record.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@David ~ Can you go into a bit more detail. You are talking about the File > Validate error mesage?
JP Ford says the Validate command automatically 'fixes' the problem, but just viewing the Media Record does not.
Exactly what do you do to resolve the problem?