* Multiple Windows

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Multiple Windows

Post by Peter_H_Williams »

This request will be answered if I can be assured that there is no problem in running multiple copies of FH when entering data.
I use two screens for work and CAD software allows multiple active windows that can be dragged across two or three screens. The same facility would be useful in FH but you cannot drag a screen out of the program enclosure window (except for Properties). I do therefore run two copies of FH side by side sometimes but have always resisted entering or changing data in situation.
The screens that I want open together are the Records list, the focus list and the named list
Because the data is in a single .GED file could I perhaps use multiple copies successfully together?

Peter Williams
David2416
Superstar

Re: Multiple Windows

Post by David2416 »

First problem you would have is Autosave running in background. Each instance would overwrite the other.

Have you tried expanding the workspace across two monitors.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just spread your FH windows across thew multiple monitors and then Just tile them. Window>Tile
2020-05-10_101024.jpg
2020-05-10_101024.jpg (232.54 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
Also don't forget you can float the property box to another screen if you have multiple monitors, it's what I used to do before I got an ultrawide monitor.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To answer David's point about Autosave, it is NOT a major problem.
Autosave is only activated if there have been any changes, so if nothing is changed nothing is Autosaved.
Whenever there is an Autosave or a File > Save in one instance of FH, the other instance of FH will detect the GEDCOM change and request you to update that instance of FH.
So all should be OK if you only change one instance of FH at a time and follow that with a File > Save.
That mechanism is exactly the same as when Ancestral Sources updates the GEDCOM file and FH detects that.

Just to complete the picture, what is more problematic is running an instance of FH simultaneously on two different PC synchronised via cloud storage such as OneDrive or Dropbox. It may work, or it may not, but in any case, it is in violation of the licence terms.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Peter_H_Williams
Platinum

Post by Peter_H_Williams »

Thank you Dave, Jane and Mike.

My preferred solution will be to run two copies because I am slowly going through FT Analyzer's Errors /Fixes and I need to have FindMyPast ;TheGenealogist plus occasionally Ancestry running alongside plus the Family Search map of Parishes to add notes in FH for when I'm gone. I only use the Cloud for archival purposes as I have children both sides of the Atlantic.
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Slightly off topic but something I learnt recently that is useful when you have multiple windows across multiple screens: if you hold down the Windows and shift keys, the cursor keys will move the current window from one screen to another.
John Elvin