* data usage and enquiries from Show Project Statistics

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

data usage and enquiries from Show Project Statistics

Post by jsphillips »

I am using Show Project Statistics 2.8
I have 2 queries whIch i would be thankful for any help offered :-

1 At the bottom of Statistics analysis it says Exceptions detected what is this and how do I determine to find out what and where they are ?

2 The statistics show quantities against the following
No births
Parentless
No deaths
One parent
no Marriages
Childless etc
the above being the main ones for myself.
Is it possible for me without trawling through hundreds of records to find the content of each of these.
Either by clicking on the data from the stats themselves or by having a query or queries to run to give the individual records that make up these figures
Any help gratefully received
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: data usage and enquiries from Show Project Statistics

Post by tatewise »

Click the Close & Report button and a Result Set of Exceptions is listed.
For entries such as No Birth, No Death, No Marriage with a red statistic, there will be Exceptions that you can click.

Your most distant Ancestors will be Parentless and a Query looking for Individuals with no INDI.FAMC will list them.

Childless is similar and Individuals with no INDI.FAMS>CHIL will list them.

One Parent is a bit trickier but essentially either no INDI.FAMC>HUSB or no INDI.FAMC>WIFE.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you Mike
A few points ..on running check installed plugins (plugin itself) the 2.1 version does not show ??
I eventually installed direct from the Plug in store.
I also have another stat query that does not correlate to the Surname usage report which I am investigating
What in fact was the difference/change from version 2.0 to 2.1 ?
Thanks again
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably, you were originally running Show Project Statistics V2.0 originally (not V2.8 as you stated).
It should have said there was a later V2.1 available from the Plugin Store?

Don't know why Check Installed Plugins Against the Store did not identify upgrade from V2.0 to V2.1.
It listed V2.1 as the latest for me.

Anyway, when you ran Show Project Statistics V2.1 it should display the Help page showing the Version History that explains what is each version. Did you check that?
So the only new statistic is the count of Snapshot files that sometimes becomes excessive.
What is the Surname usage stat query?

ShowProjectStatisticsVersionHistory.png
ShowProjectStatisticsVersionHistory.png (14.1 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks for your help yes it should have been 2.0 not 2.8 glasses need cleaning !!
When I ran the Plug in to check all my Plug ins were up to date it did not list 2.1. It was then I went into Plug in store and downloaded version 2.1
Sorted Surnames problem out thanks.
I noticed that the stats said there was an error? as there was a event after death ?
I found this and it was a Probate date and data ? Is this not taken care of in the stats ?
Thanks again
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I don't understand the stats problem scenario you are trying to describe.
To me, Probate after Death is normal and is defined in Tools > Fact Types with a Normal Time Frame of Post-Death.
Can you give a more precise description of the stat using exactly the words used to report the problem?
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Miketate,
Seeing original post, thought I'd run the plugin myself, and I am both pleased and disapponted with the number of errors it has found, most of which I have let creep in over the years.

Just come across one error that you may want to consider for the future.

It is reporting "Fact Date is earlier than the earliest estimated child birth date for the individual's mother."
In my case, the child was adopted, and only 9 years younger than the 'mother', and is clearly marked as adopted.

HoHum, only another 15,000 errors to go :lol: (I do have 20,000+ individual in my tree)
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Mike, but all those Fact Date Warnings are derived internally from FH.
If you were to edit that child's Birth Date you would get the same warning from FH.
For the Plugin to vet every such warning to check it is valid for specific scenarios would be an onerous task.
As the Plugin Help & Advice says, in FH use the Help > Search Help for GetDataWarning to obtain a fuller explanation.
If you wish, report the misleading Fact Date Warning to Calico Pie.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Ah, shame. I thought it something you could trap.

In a similar vein, I'm getting a few warnings where an individual's Christening is too close to their first childs birth date, because individual wasn't christened as a child, but later, sometimes just before they married. Can I assume this is also down to FH Date Warning?

NB On the matter of adopted child's birth date, FH won't know they are adopted when entering birth date, as they haven't yet been marked as adopted, so it would seem there is no way round that warning!
Mike Loney

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it is something the Plugin could trap, but would require analysis of the Fact Date Warning text and all possible scenarios that might mitigate against the warning. I would not relish that undertaking for all scenarios.

Any exceptions that mention Fact Date (and most of the Citation Entry Date cases) are derived from FH itself as explained in the Help & Advice page plugins:help:show_project_statistics:result_set_exceptions|> Show Project Statistics ~ Result Set Exceptions Report.
Some can be mitigated by your Tools > Preferences > Estimates settings.
So if you set Mother's age at childbirth: Minimum to 9 the adopted child's birth date warning would vanish.

Regarding the order of data entry, if the birth date is entered before the adopted relationship then the warning is valid, but is only a warning. If data entry were reversed, or you run the standard Query for Fact Date Warnings, or the Plugin Show Project Statistics, then adopted, foster, etc, relationships should be recognised and that pointed out to Calico Pie.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Mike (Gowermick),

I think you've hit on the answer to your own question without realising. The messages are simply warnings of possible errors in your data that might possibly need checking and not necessarily real errors. The conditional logic behind the warning system which would have to be programmed to try to catch only real errors would be an enormous challenge; and, amongst other factors, would have to take into account changes (legislative and other) over time and also the country in which the events occurred e.g. At what age could some could some of our ancestors have 'legally' married? Answer: It depends!

To have sensible 'warnings' the programmers really have only one viable starting option: Determine a set of norms and then the software can flag up any cases that fall outside those norms. In Family Historian, the user does have some flexibility to adjust some of the norms relating to age using Tools > Preferences > Estimates, but that's about it as far as I know.

Mervyn
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you all of you that have commented on my original query and added to it.
In my case if death is say 1937 then Probate is 1938 then I get in Statistics/warnings that a fact is entered after a life (death) date
This was my query to Mike.
Like "Gowermick" i was unable to digest this as this is perfectly normal that Probate is after death and can be allowed for in the program
Anyway thank you all
I have altered some of the stats to prevent some of these warnings
Kind regards
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Can you give a more precise description of the statistic/warning using exactly the words used to report the problem or post a screenshot, because that warning is in error and may indicate some other problem?
Maybe that Probate fact is NOT a standard Probate but a custom Probate with the wrong Normal Time Frame.

e.g. Is the warning message: "Date is later than the individual's death date." ?

Do you get the same message if you run the standard Query for Fact Date Warnings ?
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

MikeTate,
can you throw any light on why I am getting these warnings?

It is highlighting the marriage dates, with the following warning:

"Fact Date is earlier than the Individual's earliest expected marriage date, given their birth date."

Samples include
Born 1816, Marriage in 1836
Born 1828, Marriage in 1852
Born 1580, marriage 1602
etc etc (there are 14 such marriages listed)

NB On the Estimates Page, man's and woman's age setting for marriage are both set to 16 - 50
Mike Loney

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The plugins:help:show_project_statistics:the_frequent_questions#how_is_a_problem_item_correctly_identified_in_its_property_box|> Show Project Statistics ~ FAQ > How is a problem Item correctly identified in its Property Box? says "With Family Facts such as Marriage or Divorce, check both the Individual Property Box and Spouse Property Box."

You have only supplied one Spouse Birth Date. I suspect the other Spouse Birth Date is later.

Otherwise, I will need to see more information regarding both spouse's facts.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Now why didn't I think of that!
Yes, that seems to be the reason, the other partners seems to be the problem.
Thanks Mike
Mike Loney

jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

I have fully investigated the Stats now and from the stats analysis I cannot see where the one parent family is.
Perhaps some kind soul could write a plug or query that could identify the following :-

One parent families
no Marriage
Childless
no births (not Baptisms) as I have many births without baptisms/christenings.
I have looked at the help in writing plugins and queries but it is too much for me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

For two of those statistics, the Exception Result Set should lead you to the records.
Note that any statistic shown in red will have entries in the Exception Result Set.

No Marriage
The No Marriage Event nor unmarried Status cases should all be listed in the Exceptions Result Set, so just double-click on the Family listed on the left to discover each one. The All tab will show the family members.

No Birth
The No Birth, Baptism, or Christening Event cases should all be listed in the Exceptions Result Set, so just double-click on the Individual listed on the left to discover each one.

For the other two cases, open a Query Window and from cog Query Menu top right choose New Custom Query.
In the dialogue choose a memorable Query Name and ensure Query Type is Individual. Click Create.
In the Rows tab enter the Filter conditions summarised below and then run the Query.
i.e. Enter the Condition, Expression & Operator then click Add bottom right.

Childless Families
Add if %INDI.FAMS>CHIL>% is null
i.e. Add all Individuals whose Spouse Family has no Child links.

One Parent Families
This is a bit more complex as you must add three filter conditions in the one Query:
Add if %INDI.FAMC>HUSB>% is null
Add if %INDI.FAMC>WIFE>% is null
Exclude if %INDI.FAMC>% is null
i.e. Add all Individuals whose Parent Family has no Husband or no Wife, but exclude those with no Parent Family at all.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you Mike ran those queries all worked.
i Have thank you , I have done various corrections and reduced this Project Statistics to a count of 5 with "one parent"
Having run the Custom relevant query this only returns 4 ? Is there another filter missing?

Of the 4 reported by the query 2 have husband no wife
2 have wives no husband....the more normal scenario..
How do I show these in records as also obviously there is no marriage.
When I cannot immediately find a missing partner I usually create a record with name X.XXX or Y.YYY this allowing me easily to highlight the missing name of partner especially if i know they are married before 1837 and cannot find the answer
Thanks again for any help
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I got my statistics slightly confused.
The Plugin is counting the number of Family records with only One Parent.
The Query is counting the number of Individual records with only One Parent which is coloured by the number of children in the Family.
If there is a One Parent Family with no Children then the Query will not find it.

So create a New Custom Query but this time its Query Type is Family.
The two Row tab Filters needed are:
Add if %FAM.HUSB>% is null
Add if %FAM.WIFE>% is null

Now that will also find any Same Sex Pairs you might have, but easily identified as they have two named people.

What do you mean by How do I show these in records ?
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Great Thanks Mike
That works !!
Where on entering data and after a lot of research I can find :-
Husband all Data, children all data, but no wifes name (ie before 1837) but know there was a marriage. I use wifes name as say X.XXX or say Y.YYY . This indicates to me the ongoing research to find her.

This can also work where Wife all data etc but husbands name missing.
I am also wondering how other people handle this ? Just a thought