* Fact Label corrupt

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Fact Label corrupt

Post by David Potter »

Hi Forum. After restoring from a computer crash some of my fact labels are now shortened to just Birth or Death. From what I can see it affects Witnessed Events where say I "Informed of the Birth" of a son. Or I "Informed on the Death" of a person. See attached image. I can't remember how to re-enable this extra text for those fact labels. Also I'm not sure what FH standard looks like. Can anyone please help with this.

Many thanks...
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.03 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Fact Label corrupt

Post by Jane »

Did you restore your Fact sets from your backup?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Those Fact Witness role and sentence definitions are derived from ancestralsources:family_historian_birth_death_informant_witness_role|> Family Historian Birth & Death Informant & Other Witness Roles.

Did you use the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin to save all your customisations?
That is the only certain way to preserve all customisations against a major crash.
See Backup and Restore Plug-In (17642)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike. Yes I do use that Plugin but i think i overlooked to save this change to a Backup set. I'll look at that Knowledge base article and see if I can restore what I had. And then Back it up.

Thanks
David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Do you mean you omitted to run the Backup & Restore FH Settings Plugin after changing the Fact definitions?
There are no separate backup sets for different customisations; it is all or nothing.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Sorry Jane missed your post somehow. Yes I did but I suspect the mod was not part of a Backup set.

Many thanks.
David
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

@Mike - I did lose some files when the crash occurred, FH System Backup discipline/routines must have slipped in frequency and all I could find was a Backup from sometime ago. So it wasn't the latest and greatest. Hard lesson learned as they say.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FYI: I not only keep all such Backups on OneDrive with the FH Projects, but also include them in my weekly Windows backups.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

@Mike Would you kindly check these folder paths for the Back & Restore Plugin. Please see the three attachments.
Is what I have done correct? I don't quite follow why I have a folder named 'family historian' amongst the FH Settings dated folders. Is this an older backup folder that can be deleted or does it need to exist for the Plugin to work correctly. Please note I turned on the option to use dated Backup Folders.

Many thanks...
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.81 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (111.33 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (74.34 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think that family historian folder is created by Backup & Restore FH Settings Plugin.
It should mimic the program name Family Historian with capital initials.
Does it contain folders and files such as Application, Program Data, Registry.keys & Version.data ?
If so, then it is a Plugin backup and can be deleted. If not, then it must be one you created.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

@Mike - I deleted that folder.
Since my Computer Restore, I have noticed some folders and even FH Project names have been set lower case. Not sure how or why. That folder did contain what you would expect to see in a Backup folder when compared to the 'dated' folders.
I can see it is working now. It creates a Backup folder in the correct file path and when I attempt to Restore it finds that same folder.
Everything is now in a 'Mirror' folder placed on the desktop and automatically 'imaged' to an external SSD using Acronis True Image 2020 and also replicated in Acronis Cloud storage. A nice solution and worth a look. Not free of course but it is all automated and unlike Norton Backup you can Restore Folder by Folder or even down to File Level. Like I say - Hard lesson learned. I was lucky not to lose my entire database.

Problem Solved
Thank you Mike