* Setting up Photos within FH6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Setting up Photos within FH6

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello again,

I have just been backpedalling on Witness setup and reconverting quite a lot of data......which brings me on to the above subject.

I have just run the Unlinked Media plug in and have picked up a few issues that i have now sorted. This plugin also found a number of photos not in FH6 that are stored in Media\Photos directory. I have not yet linked photographs to FH6.

I use TNG website and I use Mike T's plugin to produce the Gedcom file specifically for the import into the TNG site and then I FTP my media directories across Baptism...Marriages etc including the Photos (which are not linked to FH6), I then sort out the photos separately in TNG.

I tried the Media button to find unlinked media but it didn't pick them up like the Plugin did, I assume it is because i haven't attached the photo to a media entry in FH6. I followed Jane's tutorials on adding media etc. That's the background.

My question is, what is the consensus about attaching photos? My idea at the moment would be to set up a Custom Fact called Photograph and use Jane's method to import the photos and attach to the Custom Fact - Photograph, at least then you have would have a chronological order of an individuals details. That is Birth Cert, Bapt, Christening Photo, 1st Day at School photo, Marriage etc etc Would this work or am I barking?

I assume also that when I run the Export Gedcom plugin for TNG, I would need to select a different option for linked Media?

My use of the FHUG site is bit intermittent, it's all or nothing at the mo!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Setting up Photos within FH6

Post by tatewise »

The conventional approach is to keep a clear distinction between Photos of people/places and Images of documents.

Images of Source documents are usually attached to the Media tab of the associated Source record Property Box, although they can be attached to the Source Citation when 'lumped' Source records are used.
Those can also be managed via the Show Media buttons in the Facts tab and the yellow Source Citation pane.
Such images are grouped together in the Sources section at the end of Reports.

Photos of people are usually attached to the Media tab of the associated Individual record Property Box, although family group photos are often also attached to the Media tab of the associated Family record Property Box.
The order of such photos is managed by setting their Preference on the Media tab.
It is also possible, especially with group photos, to configure a head & shoulders face frame for each Individual.
Examples of the above techniques are in the Family Historian Sample Project for Ian Stephen MUNRO and family.
Such photos are grouped near the beginning of Reports.

Photos of places can be attached to the Media tab of the associated Place record Property Box, but otherwise in a similar fashion to Photos of people above. They appear in Reports near the Fact that first refers to the Place.

It is also possible to attach Photos or Images directly to Facts and they appear in Reports near the Facts.

The same Photo/Image can be attached to more than one Media tab, etc, but only one copy exists within the Project.

The Export Gedcom File Plugin is designed to handle Media to suit the target product such as TNG.
The recommended Multimedia Conversion option is (PART~LMO) Part Frames via Local Media Objects.
The highest Preference Media tab photo gains the _PRIM Y tag to identify the primary photo.
Uppercase Media Keywords are added to a _TYPE tag to specify its Media Collection in TNG.

The above is an overview and there is more detailed advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base when you need it.
That is a lot to take in, so you may need to experiment with the options until you understand how they work and how they impact Reports and TNG.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks Mike,

I will go through what you have advised.

So just to confirm.....when I add a jpeg of a say, Baptism to AS and complete the process, it produces a media file of the Baptism and links it to a New Source record of the Baptism for the individual. I think I have many of these generated through AS. All presented correctly.

When I run through the attach media process for a Photo in FH6, it should not produce a Source but just a media file.

"Photos of people are usually attached to the Media tab of the associated Individual record Property Box" I understand this as I have attached two different photos of the same person through Simple Link and I can view them from the Media button of the individual. However these photos (differing by 30 years) do not appear when in the Facts list after I have selected the Facts Tab of the Individual. I mentioned in my first mail of a potential chronological Fact list including the Photos by using a Custom Fact - Photograph idea, do I need this and will it work?

"Although family group photos are often also attached to the Media tab of the associated Family record Property Box. Where is this found? I can find the family three box icon via the All tab of an individual, but I cannot find it through the Property Box.

Thanks again for your help.............

Cheers
PP
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What you describe is the usual conventional approach.

You are correct; Facts appear on the Facts tab; Media photos appear on the Media tab.
However, many of those photos appear at the top of the Focus Window when that person is in Focus.
They also appear at the top of a Report on that person, and one of those photos appears in Diagrams.

You could create a custom Photograph fact and attach a Media photo to each one.
But it still won't appear in the Facts tab until you select a Photograph fact and click the Show Media button.
It also won't appear in the Focus Window or in Diagrams, but will appear in Reports.

I suggest you experiment with the above methods until you understand their pros & cons.

There are a number of ways to open a Family record Property Box.
In the Focus Window, click the blue bar (with Marriage details) that runs across under the couple in Focus.
In the Records Window open the Families tab or use View > Record Lists > Families.
(To get the Families tab permanently use Tools > Preferences > Records Window and set all the Display Options to Always show as was recommended in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.)

See how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|> Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia that has a video oin the using the Media Window that I have not mentioned before.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry