* Duplicated Family

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ofrighil2691
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Duplicated Family

Post by ofrighil2691 »

Please can anyone help? I have merged 2 trees and some of the family members are showing below each other.
That is husband and wife are showing as if the had married another partner and are showing the new family below.
If I try to delete any of the duplicated individuals below it clears all the records and ancestors of the person that sit on the top.

Thanks in advance.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Duplicated Family

Post by tatewise »

I recall you have had problems with Merge (17152) before in October last year.
Where I advised studying glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File for detailed advice.

I suspect you have fallen into the popular trap of only Merging the Individuals tab.
Therefore, the Families, Sources, Media, etc, are left unmerged and possibly producing many duplicates.
So the Individual records are not duplicated, which is why deleting them won't help.
The duplicate Family records could be Merged by hand, but read on...

If possible, I would recommend restoring the Project to its state before the Merge. (You did make a Backup?)
The reason is that there will probably be many more duplicate Families, Sources, Media, etc, that you simply have not discovered yet and will be very tedious to Merge one by one by hand.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ofrighil2691
Platinum

Post by ofrighil2691 »

Thanks tatewise

I will let you know how I get on.
ofrighil2691
Platinum

Post by ofrighil2691 »

Hello again tatewise

I followed your advice with the Knowledge Base and used the query (Duplicate Spouses).
This showed which records I needed to merge and it all worked perfectly.

Thanks again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is not exactly what I advised, but glad that the Family Record merging resolved your problem.

I strongly advise that you review your Source Records, Media Records, etc, to ensure no duplicates exist.
They won't be as obvious as duplicated Family Records as there will simply be two records with similar names.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ofrighil2691
Platinum

Post by ofrighil2691 »

Thanks again tatewise

I will take your advise and check Source and Media records for duplicates.