* How to record source information?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Granny
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

How to record source information?

Post by Granny »

I have been getting information from Find my Past , newspapers, etc. and copy and paste to add note and add the source.

I have not scanned any of the documents I have as yet. The few photos I have are entered via the media tab for the individual concerned.

I have basically just been collecting information over the years and now I have so much my isolation project is to work out the best way to present it.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How to record source information?

Post by tatewise »

I have started a new thread, because this is a completely new topic, and the full backup problem has been resolved.

There are fundamentally two popular methods for recording source documents you've obtained from such as FindMyPast.

The 1st method creates a Source record for each specific source document such as a Birth (or Death) Certificate.
Its title will identify the person, the date, and the event, e.g. John Smith 1900 Birth Certificate
The Text From Source field will hold a transcript of the certificate, and the Media tab can link to an image.
That Source record would have a Citation against the Birth (or Death) event, but may also have Citations against the parent's Names, or their Residence or Occupation facts as recorded on the certificate.

The 2nd method creates one global Source record for the entire collection of Birth (or Death) Certificates.
Its title would be just something like Birth Certificates.
But then where do you put a transcript or link an image of each of the certificates?
They can be added to the Citations, but if there are several for the same certificate is identified above, that involves repeating the same details in several Citations. There are workarounds for occasional exceptions, but this method is unsuitable when you need source transcripts and images.

An overview of those two methods is in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers under Sources Methods 1 & 2. The following topic on Ancestral Sources introduces this very popular free companion program that simplifies the capturing of many source documents.

After reviewing your options, let me know how you want to proceed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Granny
Gold

Post by Granny »

Thank you for all your help. My brain is full and needs sleep 11pm here. Will look at it more tomorrow and get back to you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I await to hear from you tomorrow. Family history research is certainly an ideal pastime during this lockdown.

I don't know how well versed you are in recording your family history records.
You may find research:getting_started|> Getting Started with Genealogy Research a worthwhile introduction.
Granny
Gold

Post by Granny »

When I transferred from Relatively Yours the Main section was populated with name, date, etc. and other information went to Notes and show on Facts. I have continued with this method and enter details in Main, if I have a certificate I will enter source citation.

Most entries I make these days are from sites like Find My Past and newspapers and I enter the information on Main and add the birth/death certificate transcripts or newspaper articles in Notes and add source citation as NSW BDM, Newspaper, Find my Past, etc. For newspaper articles I add the newspaper name in Text from Source and date of article in Entry Date. For transcriptions of census details I add them to the household head, birth certificates to the child, marriage information to both husband and wife, death details to the dearly departed. Any new names or dates I get from these sources I add to the Main section.

This may not be the best way to do it but as I now have 1,704 individuals and 567 families on my database I think it would be too big a job to change. Does this make me more of a 3rd method person?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is a rather unconventional approach and is not using the Source Citation features to best effect.
That is highlighted by sources such as Marriage Certificates and Census Records that provide a multitude of facts for many people. Your method cannot connect all those people & facts to the source from which they were derived.
The conventional test is to review every fact and ask "How did I prove this fact is true?"
The Source Citations attached to each fact should answer that question.

There are many FHUG members who have moved to FH from another product and decided to review their Project and over an extended period of time rearrange the Source Citations to be more conventional, and in doing so often discover some new lines of research.

However, we all have different ways of doing things and if happy with your approach then that is fine.

Returning to your original question about merging replicated Source records then this is how:
In the Records Window open the Sources tab and select one Source record to be merged.
Choose the one of several similar ones that holds the most information in its Property Box.
Use the Edit > Merge/Compare Records command, select one other Source record to merge, and click OK.
You will get a Merge Records dialogue window as shown below.
I suspect in most cases the lefthand pane will just say Keep, Null Merge, or * Add * and you can simply click Merge.
In more complex cases you may want to ask here for advice and attach a screenshot. Click Cancel to abort a merge.

MergeRecord.png
MergeRecord.png (29.47 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Granny
Gold

Post by Granny »

Two problems sorted. Thank you very much for your help. Now I have a project file and know a bit more about sources I may become a bit more conventional. Probably the longer we are in lockdown the more conventional I will become!
Thanks again and stay well.