* Single page PDF problems

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Single page PDF problems

Post by ColinMc »

I'm trying to sort a single page PDF

I've been looking through how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram
and can't see where my problem lies. I've also read through PDF and Images for Medium to Large Diagrams (17219) but it seems much of the has been incorporated in the first link.

Firstly I'm using Foxit PDF Printer. Unfortunatley I removed the NovaPDF printer, (as I already had Microsoft & Foxit printers installed), and I'd prefer not to re-install FH currently, so I cannot use the Save Diagram method.

Anyway, I have a smallish chart 131.63cm x 11.38cm. I have reset my Diagram options to Installation settings. This shows me 0cm margins and 0 Position on page for all settings. The dimensions seem to be below the Max page size so I should not need scaling.

Using Printsetup, I have set a custom page size to 135cm x 15cm, but the chart still requires 2 pages.

print.jpg
print.jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

I have adjusted the pages sizes a dozen times (tried different diagrams as well) but I can't get it to work reliably. Surely if setting one dimension (15cm) just above the actual size of 11.38 cm works for that dimension, why does for example 160cm with a diagram size of 131cm not work for the other dimension?

I've tried changing dpi from 600 to 300, with no success either.

If I drag in the page boundaries, I can make it fit with the scaling adjusted to 19%. But as I'm below the max why should this be necessary.

I've also tried installing PDFCreator, again with no luck.

What am I doing wrong/ missing?

Thanks
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Single page PDF problems

Post by tatewise »

You can re-install the FH Nova Printer as explained in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#save_as_pdf_file_output_is_not_enabled|> Save As PDF File Output is Not Enabled for Option 1 Reinstallation without re-installing FH.

Having adjusted the Print Setup page sizes, and enabled Show Page Boundaries, presumably the Diagram boxes span a page boundary, which explains why they print on two pages. This technique does not automatically align the Diagram to fit the minimum number of pages. What you see is what gets printed.
If the Diagram were moved wholesale would it fit within one page?
If so, use Diagram > Enable Moving/Resizing and in Movement Control Box select Tree and use left-click drag to move the Diagram tree into one Page.

But reinstalling the FH Nova Printer and using how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram#diagram_save_diagram_as_pdf_file_pdf|> Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) is easier.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Re: Single page PDF problems

Post by ColinMc »

Thanks again

Yes, moving the tree to fit in into one page worked perfectly.

But having installed the Nova Printer driver, you are right that is easier still.

Thanks.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families