* Saving changes

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
reintsdianalynn1
Family Historian: V6

Saving changes

Post by reintsdianalynn1 » 26 Feb 2020 19:28

I am trying to learn this program. I am going through the video about filling the diagram boxes with color and coloring the routes. I got all done and then closed down. I opened up the program all my work was gone, back to the beginning look. where do I save all these changes? :|

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Saving changes

Post by tatewise » 26 Feb 2020 21:10

Welcome to the FHUG.

As well as the videos you would benefit from working through some of the user guides.
See Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers for some suggestions.

Another tip is when there is no Help button, such as in a Diagram Window, press the F1 key to get advice.
In this case that leads to the Diagram command menu summarised below.

The top option is Save Diagram which saves it as a Family Historian Chart that is opened via the View > Saved Charts command.
Such charts save all the details and customisations but are not absolutely frozen, so if details or relatives are added the chart will get updated.

If you want a frozen Diagram, then use the Save Diagram As options to preserve it as a PDF or image file.

If you only need to save the customisation of the box colours, etc, then use Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

reintsdianalynn1
Family Historian: V6

Post by reintsdianalynn1 » 26 Feb 2020 22:26

Hello; Thank you for trying to help me. You said Such charts save all the details and customisations but are not absolutely frozen, so if details or relatives are added the chart will get updated.

I finally did get a saved chart because it prompted to me to save as I was closing down. Now I have a saved chart that I go to under saved charts. So now I went to colorized another branch which I try to do to the same chart. I am done with the coloring and looking around and no save button and it did not automatically add to the chart but went away when I came back to it later. What am I doing wrong? The only thing on the chart was the saved branch that I somehow got first. But I cannot add to that chart. Only one branch is colored now.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by tatewise » 27 Feb 2020 09:03

You were lucky that the auto-save prompt when closing FH actually saved what you wanted.
Please use the Diagram menu commands discussed earlier.

After opening a Saved Chart you are simply working in the Diagram Window as before, but with its contents initialised by the details from the Saved Chart. It is similar to opening a saved document in MS Word.
So all the same Diagram save options are available as discussed earlier.
Use Diagram > Save Diagram to update/overwrite the same Saved Chart.
Just like File > Save in MS Word.
Use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Family Historian Chart to save a new Chart and retain the original Chart.
Just like File > Save As in MS Word.
Use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) to export a frozen & printable diagram/chart.
Just like File > Export PDF in MS Word.

You will discover later that FH has many different types of things it can save (GEDCOM, Reports, etc) and each has its own save commands, whereas MS Word only has documents to save so has fewer options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry