* How to create different residences

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Jonvdw
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

How to create different residences

Post by Jonvdw » 26 Feb 2020 17:43

Hello again,

As my ancestors and their relatives were moving a lot, they had different addresses at different events of their lives (birth, marriage, witness at different events, giving birth, death). Instead of using the "Residence" fact, which works with dates, I would like to create a similar "Residence" fact but associate it with specific events.
For example, I would like to create a "Residence during marriage" fact that would, in the narrative report, automatically add the relevant address right after the marriage details. I managed to create such a fact with the right sentence template but I don't know how to make it follow the "Marriage" event, unless I enter a date (which would be redundant with the date of the marriage).
Similarly, I would like to create such "Residence" facts linked with other events, such as when being a witness at weddings, baptisms, etc.

Thank you in advance!

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: How to create different residences

Post by tatewise » 26 Feb 2020 21:32

This needs thinking through carefully because there are a number of aspects to consider.

Many of the Residence examples you have given relate to people who are not directly the subject of the event.
i.e. They are not a person being born, or who died, or is getting married, but an informant or a witness.
So the Residence fact will belong to a different person than the person with the Birth, Death or Marriage event. Those people are often the father or mother or spouse of the person who experienced the event. The Residence fact will have the Date of the event.

The specific case you mention relates to the Address of the Bride and Groom before getting married, so would come before the Marriage Event and may have a Date such as Before 25 May 1900 if they were married on 25 May 1900.

Such Residence facts are most easily created by using Knowledge Base > Ancestral Sources which is very popular with FH users for capturing common events such as Birth, Baptism, Census, Marriage, Death & Burial and all the facts for the associated people like informants, parents, best man, bridesmaids, minister, witnesses, etc. However, I think you will find that few of them provide their Address of Residence. In the UK, marriage witnesses just sign their name.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry