* Project Merge – Some Questions

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
quarlton
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Project Merge – Some Questions

Post by quarlton » 26 Feb 2020 14:38

I am looking to merge two projects.
There are about 7,000 individuals in total.

At some point in the past about 1,300 individuals have been merged from Project B into Project A.
These merged records still exist in Project B.

Questions

1. Am I right in thinking that if I only merged those records in Project B that hadn’t already been merged,
i.e. they would be listed as *Add*, that they would not link to existing records that had already been merged?
  • e.g.
    a. Bill Smith was merged in the past
    b. His father, Jack Smith, was not merged at that time.
    c. If I only added Jack Smith this time, then he would not link to his son Bill.
2. Is there a way of pausing the merge/compare process if it isn’t possible to do all the checking in one session?
In order to keep track of which records have been investigated.

3. Can a query or similar be run on Compare list, for example to find out how many of each type of action there are?

Many thanks

Dave
Dave Simpson ~ Boulton, Braham, Carney, Simpson and Jacobs

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Project Merge – Some Questions

Post by tatewise » 26 Feb 2020 16:36

1. I think you are proposing to export from Project B only those records that were NOT imported to Project A earlier?
    Then you are planning to merge that exported subset GEDCOM with Project A.
    You are making the common mistake of only thinking about Individual records and overlooking all the others.
    You are largely correct that if there are no Individual records that will synchronise between that subset of records from Project B and the current Project A, then they will be added as unrelated Individuals.
    However, you may be able to override that by adjusting entries in the Family records.
    The same may not be the case for all the other types of record such as Notes, Sources, Media, Places, etc, which may need your attention to decide whether to merge or not.

I am not sure whether you want to link Jack to his son Bill as part of the Merge or not.
    If you do want them linked, then include Bill in the exported records from Project B.

Are you saying that none of the records previously merged from Project B to Project A has had any changes in Project B?
  2. No it is NOT possible to pause the merge process.
  3. No it is not possible to export how many of each action there are.
    Anyway, you are meant to review each action and adjust as necessary to decide whether to include or exclude data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

quarlton
Diamond

Post by quarlton » 26 Feb 2020 16:47

Thanks Mike

I had taken into account the other record types, but just wanted confirmation that I understood the linking between Individuals.

Project B hasn't been updated since the partial merge with Project A

It's the reviewing that I was trying to stage over a few days.

Looks like a long day ahead :( sometime in the near future.

Thanks for the information

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 26 Feb 2020 17:29

What you might be able to do is break Project B into a number of separate subtrees.
e.g. Separate ancestral branches.
Then you can merge each subtree branch separately into Project A.

There may be a few Source, Media, or Place records that will require merging each time, if they happen to be shared by people in different branches, but will be a price worth paying to perform the merge in batches.

Don't forget to include the root person in each separate branch so that the branches get linked together in the merge.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

quarlton
Diamond

Post by quarlton » 26 Feb 2020 17:34

Thanks Mike