* Emigration Fact witness age

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Emigration Fact witness age

Post by dewilkinson »

I have used the Emigration Fact with a witness as a fellow traveling companion, but in the witness's sentence the age is that of the principal, which is clearly wrong. The sentence picks up the principal persons name correctly though.

This is the sentence construct.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.61 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
and this is the sentence output, Jessie is the mother aged 40, she was only 14
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (16.73 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Emigration Fact witness age

Post by tatewise »

The {individual} and related codes reference the principal or witness name according to context.
All other codes such as {place} and {age} reference the principal fact.
Where else could such values be retrieved?
This is one of the snags with Fact Witnesses that have few details of their own.
It is one reason I don't use them much, especially for Census details, as there is no easy way to record Age.

Try using aged {=AgeAt(%CUR~WITN>%,%FACT.DATE%)} but that only works if both the Witness has a Birth Date and the Fact has a Date.

Alternatively, use aged {=GetLabelledText(%CUR~WITN.NOTE2%,"Age: ")} and add the age in a Witness Note.

You will probably have to enclose those expressions in a {=CombineText(...)} function to make aged conditional.
e.g.
{=CombineText( " aged ", GetLabelledText(%CUR~WITN.NOTE2%,"Age: "), , )}
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dewilkinson
Superstar

Re: Emigration Fact witness age

Post by dewilkinson »

Mike,

Many thanks, that is what I thought. I have on some occasions used the witness note field but as you say the limitations of Fact Witnesses precludes common usage.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them