* Media re-input into 'reset' Sample Project of FHv6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Gordon Lloyd
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Media re-input into 'reset' Sample Project of FHv6

Post by Gordon Lloyd » 25 Feb 2020 17:18

I am experimenting with inputting media (images) into the Sample Project before doing it 'for real'.
I have input a particular media into the Sample Project and then subsequently reset the Sample Project.
Then I have input the same media into the reset Sample Project. However FH insists on putting a suffix (2) behind the name of the media "to avoid a name conflict with an existing file".
As I have reset the Sample Project surely it should not 'know' that that particular media was previously input. I don't want this to happen when inputting media to my main project (i.e. if I delete an image and then re-input it) ; it will be confusing as it will be exactly the same image.
Can anyone please explain why this does happen and can I avoid it happening.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Media re-input into 'reset' Sample Project of FHv6

Post by tatewise » 25 Feb 2020 17:50

Hi Gordon, that is a common misunderstanding, because there are two data items involved.
  1. Media record within the GEDCOM file with a link to the file.
    They are listed in the Records Window along with all the other record types.
  2. Media file in the Media sub-folder within the Project structure.
When the FH Sample Project is reset, the Media record is removed but the Media file still exists.
Use the Check for Unlinked Media Plugin to list and optionally delete or move such files.

It would be unusual to delete a Media record and re-enter the same Media file.
You might unlink the Media record and insert it somewhere else the same as relinking any other records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd » 26 Feb 2020 09:44

Thanks Mike, I will see what I can do. It's a pity this 'danger' isn't made clear on page 1 of Simon Orde's Official Guide.
Many thanks for your very prompt advice. Gordon.

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 26 Feb 2020 10:35

If you use the 'drag and drop' method of adding media to FH it is easier to see what is going on. Rather than letting FH copy an image file into the Media folder before creating a new Media Record, I open the Media folder (using windows Explorer) and move the file into the Media folder. (In fact I use sub-folders within the Media folder, but the principle is the same). You would notice at that stage if there is already a file with the same name in that folder. This gives you a chance to investigate whether it is indeed an identical file or you have used the same name for two different files. Then drag and drop the file from that folder onto the media tab of the Individual/Family/Source/Place record to which you are adding it. That is when a new Media Record is created in FH.
Lorna

Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd » 26 Feb 2020 14:48

Many thanks Lorna, I'll give it a try.