* Citation Strategy Question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
USMC7312
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Citation Strategy Question

Post by USMC7312 »

So if you decide that the best mean of EE compliance is to split all your citations, you still have a problem as you are stuffing your entire Citation in the TITLE field.

1. “North Carolina, Index to Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868,” database, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 24 Feb 2020), marriage bond for Joe Smith & Jane Jones, Wilkes 27 Nov 1810, bond no. 000165478; citing “State of North Carolina. An Index to Marriage Bonds Filed in the North Carolina State Archives. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1977.

2. “North Carolina, Index to Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868,” database, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 24 Feb 2020), marriage bond for Tom Jones & Mary Smith, Wilkes 27 Nov 1810, bond no. 000165479; citing “State of North Carolina. An Index to Marriage Bonds Filed in the North Carolina State Archives. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1977.

3. “North Carolina, Index to Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868,” database, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 24 Feb 2020), marriage bond for Mike Moore & Eliza Paine, Wilkes 27 Nov 1810, bond no. 000165480; citing “State of North Carolina. An Index to Marriage Bonds Filed in the North Carolina State Archives. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1977.

Now your Source List has a bunch of Sources, even though they are really citations (Bygones), but they all look the same. In a large database you might have a hundred of these. So I thought after seeing someone else’s post why not try this in bold?

[VR:MBOND Henry Hamby & Sary Cross] “North Carolina, Index to Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868,” database, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 24 Feb 2020), marriage bond for Henry Hamby & Sary Cross, Wilkes 27 Nov 1810, bond no. 000165478; citing “State of North Carolina. An Index to Marriage Bonds Filed in the North Carolina State Archives. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1977.

So I tried a few and have some questions or would like to hear community feedback:

1. I thought data in brackets was hidden [xxx] ?
2. I figured I would include type:subtype acronym followed by names of top two people as a quick means to differentiate and sort multiple citations from the same source?
3. How are others in the community dealing with this?
4. The other strategy I was considering if the brackets do get hidden is to instead
A. Create the source and place the Bibliography in brackets.
B. Create a citation and place my EE citation into the “Where within source field” but still include the [type:subtype name date] coding as a prefix.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Citation Strategy Question

Post by Jane »

I can't comment on your strategy, but if you are considering a major overhaul , you might want to wait for FH7 as it contains
Integrated full word-processing for notes and text fields.
Improved source and citation functions.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I guess you are talking about the Sources tab in the Records Window.
A tactic used to overcome your problem is to use the Short Title field to hold a shorter summary.
i.e. Could hold VR:MBOND Henry Hamby & Sary Cross

By default, the Short Title is listed under Source Records in preference to the Title.
But the Title can also be listed in its own custom column if you wish.

BTW: Private text is enclosed in [[ double brackets ]] and applies to Source Title fields in Sources section of Reports, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 »

Thanks, that is what I needed.