* In a shipping list but not a migration.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
AndyC
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

In a shipping list but not a migration.

Post by AndyC »

How do people record, if at all, when an individual appears on a ship's passenger list, but it for work or holiday, not a migration?
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: In a shipping list but not a migration.

Post by AdrianBruce »

I have created Custom Events for Arrival and Departure - I have to use both because there's no second place-name for Custom Events. Then I use the Notes for the event in question to explain why they were arriving or departing.
Adrian
AndyC
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AndyC »

Wow, thanks for an incredibly quick reply.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Those Custom Events already exist in FH in the Extended Set fact set.
See glossary:work_with_fact_sets#custom_facts_from_other_products|> Custom Facts from other Products.
In addition to Arrival and Departure there is also Origin and Destination plus many other facts.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Those appear to be attributes rather than events. Is there any way to change an attribute to an event?

Bill

Edit: Never mind... I figured I couldn't change anything in the extended set so I just went ahead and defined my own events in the custom set.
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The advantage of them being Attributes is there is an extra Value parameter that can be used to hold a 2nd Place name, the Ship name, etc, that is represented by the {value} code in Sentence Templates.
No, you cannot change an Attribute fact definition into an Event, or vice versa.
I don't get too concerned about subtle differences between Events & Attributes and treat them both the same.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

It isn't a big deal or anything, but I prefer to use an event for things that are really events like this. I don't need the extra value field as I put the 2nd place, the ship (or whatever transportation is used), other people traveling in the group, etc. into the notes as labeled notes.

Bill
Bill Henshaw