* PDF Print Defaulting to Microsoft Edge

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

PDF Print Defaulting to Microsoft Edge

Post by BobWard »

I have not knowingly changed anything in my settings when printing pedigree diagrams using the FH PDF Printer.

However, everytime that I now attempt to print a pedigree diagram, using the FH PDF Printer, the printed diagram opens up in Microsoft Edge.

I cannot find any settings where I have selected Microsoft Edge to be my default pdf printer.

In the past, when I have used the FH PDF Printer, the printed file has always opened in Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Any ideas as to what may have caused Microsoft Edge to now display my pdf files instead of Adobe?

Using WIN10 Home, 64 bit.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: PDF Print Defaulting to Microsoft Edge

Post by GeneSniper »

Hi BobWard

It may just have been an update to Windows that has changed the default viewer for a .pdf file, Microsoft Edge is Windows 10's default viewer (there has been a Microsoft Edge update lately). You can change it back by typing "default" into the search bar next to the start button in the bottom left of the screen. an option for "Choose a default app for each type of file", click on that option and in the window that opens scroll down to .pdf (it's a long list, but it is alphabetical in order). Next to that option it will say Microsoft Edge if you click on that it should give you the option to select the program you want, once you select the program you want just close the window and that should be you. Hope that helps.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Another method is:
Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps scroll down and click on Set defaults by app.
Choose Adobe Acrobat and Manage where you can choose a default for each file type.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

You may be right, an automatic WIN10 update happened on my computer a few days ago. That may have reset Microsoft Edge as the default pdf program. They should not be doing those kind of resets without user approval.

Yes, I went through the steps to get Adobe reset as my default pdf program.

Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Windows Updates have always had the potential side effect of changing the default apps.
Installing a new app carries a similar side effect for any file types it can manage.
It has been that way for as long as I can remember, and I started on Windows 98.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Finally, something I can beat you on Mike -- I started on Windows 3.0!
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Bear in mind also that this wasn't a "normal" Edge update but in fact the install of the "new" (Chromium based) Microsoft Edge application.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nice one Helen.
We were using Windows 3.0 at work, but I was not involved in Windows Updates, so can't comment on their behaviour.

Nevertheless Brent, no form of update should change user default settings.
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 25 Jan 2020 19:03 Finally, something I can beat you on Mike -- I started on Windows 3.0!
I started on PCs with MSDOS 2.0 (which was able to support 10MB hard drives)!
Prior to that I was using a Varian (72 using Vortex?) which you booted with hexadecimal buttons to load a minimal operating system from a spool of punch tape before it could read a massive (size) demountable disk.

Mind you I was reminiscing about this during my MBA with one of my Engineering degree lecturers (in the pub) with my MBA finance tutor and the later piped up with "That's nothing; I worked on LEO" - which put both of us in our place!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I can't go quite that far back but did work on Marconi Myriad in the 1970's but cannot say what for as sworn to secrecy :)