* Editing fact titles

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paulrun26
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Editing fact titles

Post by paulrun26 »

Can I edit the fact title for a given fact, I would like to say, swap 'Attestation' to 'Joined (Military)' but keeping all the data and date. Or, would I need to start over?

Paul
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Editing fact titles

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you can do that Paul.
Use Tools > Fact Types and select your Attestation custom fact.
Then click Edit and in the Fact Definition dialogue change Label: from Attestation to Joined (Military) and click OK.

BTW: I guess you know there is a fhugdownloads:contents:military_history|> Downloads > Fact Set ~ Military History for Property Box Tab that defines a whole set of military facts.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paulrun26
Platinum

Post by paulrun26 »

Thank you Mike and yes, I found that out - hence the request to change fact type. Cheers.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

But be aware you are not changing the underlying Fact Type.
In the GEDCOM code that will still be your Attestation custom fact.
You are only changing the Label displayed in the Facts tab, Records Window, Reports, etc.

To actually convert your Attestation custom fact to one of the Military History download custom facts you will need to use the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin, which I can explain if necessary.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paulrun26
Platinum

Post by paulrun26 »

Mike, thanks for the heads-up. I got there in the end (I'm on version 5), but still didn't get what I wanted. So....looking at it differently, I created a custom Fact, called Location, the reason being that I have several documents 'passes' or 'permission slips' that put grandad in certain places at certain times - I was looking for the best way to record this. The passes are recorded as sources and the source has a photo of the pass attached. There are also a couple of maps that he has marked up as 'action' (thankfully I recognise the handwriting as his) - I wanted to record this location.

When I upgrade to v7 when it's published then I can integrate those locations with maps.
Paul.