* Transfer project folder to different drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
antheaj
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Transfer project folder to different drive

Post by antheaj »

I have just had a new computer and I am keeping drive c for the Windows operating system as it is quite small but drive d is very large. This is where I have installed the program files but the project folder has somehow been installed on drive c. I would like to have the project file on drive d as well but not sure how to go about it. As yet the project folder doesn't contain any projects as I have only installed the software before progressing.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Anthea
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Transfer project folder to different drive

Post by tatewise »

Hi Anthea, I have moved this to the FH General Usage forum as it is not to do with Importing/Exporting another product.

I would advise against installing the FH program on the D: drive as that is what the C: drive is for.
FH should be installed in its default C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian folder. It needs less than 40MB.
Anyway, I suspect the Family Historian PDF printer still installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Calico Pie folder.
Also, there is no way you can move the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian customisation folders & files nor the Windows Registry settings off the C: drive.
It is slightly risky to install programs in non-standard locations.
So I suggest you uninstall and re-install FH in the default folders.

On the other hand, moving the Family Historian Projects folder to D: drive is advisable and easy.
I suspect that Project folder does have the Family Historian Sample Project but that is unimportant.
Use Windows File Explorer to move the Family Historian Projects folder to wherever you want it on the D: drive.
Then in FH in File > Project Window > Location: click on My Documents\Family Historian Projects and select Choose Location to browse to the D: drive folder.
See Gedcom file confusion posting that has a screenshot solving the same problem.

Having done all that, see the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide for how to migrate your existing Projects and Custom Settings from old PC to new PC. If anything is not clear then please do ask.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

There are a couple of ways to do this

If you only want to move Family Historian Projects, copy the folder from Documents to your preferred location and click on the blue link at the base of the Project Window to tell FH where to look.

Another option is to move the whole Documents folder to the new location, so all your Documents etc are stored on D.

There are some notes on doing this here
https://www.dummies.com/computers/opera ... indows-10/

You can do this for the Program Files folder if you tinker in the registry, but like Mike I would strongly recommend leaving any program installs in the "normal" location.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
antheaj
Gold

Post by antheaj »

Thank you both. You are both so helpful.

I will take your advice and reinstall the program to the c drive and then read the article regarding the transfer from one machine to another before moving all the data.
Regards
Anthea