* Zoom Factor When Opening Report

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Zoom Factor When Opening Report

Post by BobWard »

This issue has been annoying me for a long time and I have not been able to find a setting to correct it.

When I open any version of a report under the Publish menu, the selected report always opens at a zoom factor of 327%. Then I have to manually zoom out or select one of the zoom settings in the small box in the upper right-hand corner of the report window.

Is there any way to force the reports to always open at a pre-selected zoom factor?
arthurk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Zoom Factor When Opening Report

Post by arthurk »

I can't find a setting or Help item relating to this, but if you put it on the Wish List, I'd vote for it.

Incidentally, I think the zoom factor may relate to the size of your monitor/window. My reports open at the Page Width preset, and I suspect yours are doing too, but for me that's 173%.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is odd :?
Whenever any Report is opened it should always start with Page Width as the zoom setting top right.
The alternatives are Whole Page and a range of preset percentages from 10% to 500%.
You can also use the Zoom In and Zoom Out buttons.
But whatever is chosen it is only temporary and reverts to Page Width when next Report is opened.

What setting do you initially get top right?

Is the FH Window open in Maximise or Restore Down mode and what is the monitor resolution?

BTW: Mine open at 178%
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by BobWard »

Yes, it always opens at Page Width. I am trying to find a way to adjust a setting so that it will always open at Whole Page. However, there does not appear to be a setting to do that, i.e., there is no way to over-ride the Page Width setting for the initial opening of the report window.

And yes, I am sure the monitor settings control the zoom factor that I see when I first open a report page. My monitor display setting is 3440 x 1440 for a 34" monitor. I always have the FH Window open in Maximise mode.

If anyone finds a way to over-ride the default Page Width setting (on the initial opening of the report window), please post the trick.

Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Currently there is no trick or alternative setting.
Reports always open with the Page Width setting.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

I'm reluctant to play around with this in case I end up with something that takes ages to sort out (and I'm currently trying to concentrate on a fairly lengthy research task), but I did notice that it was possible to reduce the size of the report window (ie non-maximised) so that Page Width was the same as 100%.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to rearrange the windows permanently so that a report window always opens at 100%. Bob - if your monitor is 3440 pixels wide, would you have scope for this? Could you even reduce the size of the main FH window and have the report window open up to one side?

However, I think there are some downsides: reducing the size of the report window also reduces the Focus window, but would it be possible to drag that out again to more or less fit the space it occupies when maximised? The Property Box got in the way a bit as well, but that's easily hidden. And another possible problem is that if you start with a single page at 100%, if you then want to see two pages at once, I think they'd have to be a lot smaller to fit in the available window.

Anyway, just thinking aloud here. I'm not planning to look into any of this just now, but if anyone else feels like it, I'd be interested to know the outcome.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Arthur, I suspect adjusting window size & position is unlikely to yield a suitable solution.
FH is not brilliant at remembering window size & position from one session to the next, so will probably need more than one click to provide an alternative fix, whereas Bob already has a one click fix to choose Whole Page.

Adding a Wish List request is one possibility, but likely to get lost among those with a higher priority.
So try sending a support request direct to Calico Pie using the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting ticket system.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Thank you - I've just submitted a ticket.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

I've had a reply from Calico Pie - it's been passed to the development team for consideration.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is their 'standard' reply. Don't hold your breath.