* Linking event to a place

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
twinkledays
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Linking event to a place

Post by twinkledays »

I have filled in the info for my great grandmothers birth and the place was already listed in the records but when I point on the place on the map, the event is not listed. How can I attach her birth to the place where she was born. I think that the info of the place was carried over when i loaded the GEM file from ancestry. I think that also the places that I have entered in the property box for census and other events are not generating a place record. What am I doing wrong?

Also how can i find longitude for roads that are no longer there?

Can I also make a report showing the churches where ancestors where baptized and married?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Linking event to a place

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Wow! So many questions :o

With questions such as those, could you please give us a few more clues, such as exactly what commands you have used.

Before doing anything else please use Tools > Preferences > Map Window and tick Block Refresh for non-tentative Geocodes otherwise the Latitude & Longitude techniques mentioned below may get upset.

How do you open the Map Window?
With your grandmother selected in say the Focus Window, click the red pin Map Window icon and Map Places for... her.
In the Map Window are there red pins shown in the map on the right for each Place?
You can click on a pin to see associated events, or click the [+] next to grandmothers name on the left and then click any fact from the expanded list below to get a list of all facts against the same place.

If there are no red pins on the map, then with grandmother selected use Map > Geocoding > Refresh Geocoding.

Entering new Places for such as Census and other events will be creating Place records, but they are not automatically geocoded with Latitude & Longitude until you use the Map command mentioned above.

Regarding Latitude & Longitude for roads no longer there, suggests you are entering road names into the Place field.
Alternatively, if you are entering road names into the Address field then they cannot be geocoded at all.
The FH geocoder is not always able to get the Latitude & Longitude even for roads that exist, and sometimes can only get down to towns and cities.
There are a number of ways to resolve that problem.
  1. Place Record Standardised Field
    Open the Place record via the Map Window by right-clicking a Fact at that Place and choosing Display Place Record .
    There you can enter a road or postcode near the non-existing road and that will be used by the geocoder.
  2. Drag Marker Pin
    Enable Marker Dragging by selecting right-hand icon in the Map Window toolbar.
    Now you can drag the red marker pin for the missing road until it is positioned exactly where you want.
  3. Map Life Facts Plugin
    This is a more advanced solution that may work, but needs a lot more explanation than appropriate today.
You last question about reporting churches for baptisms, marriages (and presumably burials) depends partly on how you have recorded church names for those facts. It should be possible with a Fact Query but can we hold fire on that until the other problems are resolved.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mike's reply arrived first, but I will just add a comment because you say in your original post that you don't think the places you enter in the Property Box are generating any Place records. Start by going to the Places tab of the Records Window. Are all, or any, of your Places listed there? If so, the number in the Links column will tell you how many times each Place has been used, and this should correspond to the list of events shown when you click on the marker for that place in the map window. (This assumes the Place has already been geocoded.)

If some Places are missing you have probably not entered them in the correct field in the Property Box. There is an important difference between Places and Addreses. Have you perhaps entered some of the Places in the Address field? Once you have solved the problem of the missing Places you need to decide whether you want to put all the details of the location, right down to the building and street address, in the Place field, or just use the Place for the name of the 'town/city, county/state, country' and put the street address in the Address field. There are pros and cons of both methods, which can be explained further.
Lorna
twinkledays
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by twinkledays »

Thank you lorna and Mike.

You have given me much to play around with.

I think my issue stems with me entering the first line of the address in the address box and the rest of it in the place box.

Will check out your suggestions and see if that helps me to get what I imagine.

Thanks for quick response

Trudy.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In the how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers there is a section on Places & Addresses that mentions other sources of information and links to glossary:places|> Places and Addresses that explains about how they can be used with Geocode Mapping, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry