* Fact Management ????

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
USMC7312
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Fact Management ????

Post by USMC7312 » 22 Nov 2019 19:49

I just imported a GEDCOM file of a tree that has been worked on for almost 20+ years. The previous client was Roots Magic 7. I noticed a curious anomaly with the way it imported facts. It created an event and attribute for many custom facts but not all.
QUESTIONS:
1. Is there a good reason for their being both an event and attribute?
2. Does FH have a merge facts feature or is their an addon for doing this?
3. Is there a way to change a Fact Name?
Attachments
2019-11-22.png
2019-11-22.png (42.46 KiB) Viewed 897 times

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Fact Management ????

Post by tatewise » 22 Nov 2019 22:36

You posted essentially the same question last August: Merging Facts & Other Questions (17048)
But you did not respond to the answers given by Jane and myself.
I am tempted to merge these two postings together.

The answers given then apply to your question today.
  1. The answer is in my last two paragraphs.
  2. Use the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin to convert one to the other.
  3. Define the new name and use the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin to convert old to new.
    Alternatively, just change the Label associated with the Fact Type definition.
I am not sure what your screenshot is meant to illustrate.
If an imported GEDCOM mostly uses Standard GEDCOM facts (Events & Attributes) then they will map onto the predefined Standard Fact Type definitions such as Birth, Death & Marriage.
Only non-standard custom facts will create Custom Events or Attributes such as End Public Office.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 » 22 Nov 2019 23:42

My apologies for the duplicate post. I had forgotten about that. I was testing the software back then for about a month. Since then I have not used the software until today.

I did search back about 5 pages of posts and did not see anything before I posted. Anyways, my bad...

So that addin will allow me to merge two facts by giving them the same name even if one fact is an attribute and the other is an event?

My picture was showing how a newly imported GEDCOM had facts created with the same name but one was an attribute and the other an event. This seemed odd...

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 23 Nov 2019 00:28

Sorry, but where in your screenshot is there two facts with the same name? They all look different to me!

Yes, the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin can change custom Events into custom Attributes with the same name.
The trick is to first use Tools > Fact Types to change the Label of the custom Event definition so that it is distinguishable from the custom Attribute with the same name.
Then it is easy for the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin to change every such Event into the Attribute.
Finally, the redundant custom Event definition can be deleted.

Remember that to run a Plugin needs a fully licenced copy of FH and not the 30-day Free Trial version.

BTW: You can review your earlier posts by clicking the Posts number in your profile on the right.

USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 » 24 Nov 2019 03:43

So can you use this plugin both directions: from event to attribute and attribute to event?

Is it reasonable to expect these fields to automatically map from event to attribute and attribute to event
Date. -> Date
Place. -> Place
Address -> Address
Note. ->. Note

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 24 Nov 2019 10:24

Yes, it can convert any Event or Attribute fact to any other Event or Attribute fact.
ALL fields (Date, Age, Place, Address, Note, Cause), source citations, attached media, etc, are retained.

The only exception is when converting an Attribute to an Event.
That is because Attribute facts can have a value whereas Event facts cannot.
e.g. The Occupation Attribute names an occupation, the Religion Attribute names a religion, etc.
So such values are moved the to a Source Note attached to the Event.

See the Knowledge Base > Change Any Fact Tag Plugin for details.

USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 » 24 Nov 2019 19:35

That is very odd because as you can see in the next post the results of converting an attribute to event are that my place data is moved into a source note on every item.

I guess you can only attach three images, so I will post the results in next post
Attachments
attribute to event 3.png
attribute to event 3.png (67.67 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Event definition.png
Event definition.png (22.48 KiB) Viewed 678 times
attribute def.png
attribute def.png (22.93 KiB) Viewed 678 times

USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 » 24 Nov 2019 19:35

That is very odd because as you can see in the next post the results of converting an attribute to event are that my place data is moved into a source note on every item.
Attachments
Results.png
Results.png (132.73 KiB) Viewed 678 times

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 24 Nov 2019 20:21

I can only assume that Washington Township, Owen County,... was NOT originally in the Place field but on the same line as the Alt Death label as its Value, which as I said will transfer to the Source Note.

That would have been reported by the Plugin as you were going through the fact conversions.

Did you check any of those Alt Death attribute facts beforehand to see what Value and Place data they held?

It seems that in RootsMagic7 you did not always add the place-name to the Place field but added it as a Value, and that is why the Alt Death facts imported as attributes.

BTW: The Alt Death fact for Thomas Gallop did have Place entry for West Riding of Yorkshire, England which has been retained, as well as a Value of West Riding, , England, United Kingdom which has moved to the Source Note.

It might be best to reverse those fact changes and use another Plugin to move each attribute Value into the Place field.

USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 » 24 Nov 2019 20:48

Thomas Gallop had been fixed only because I went in and did it myself. So I went back and these had been imported into RM in the description field. So I will have to fix these.

Is there an easy way to selectively move these instances to the place field or is that going to be a manual process. The whole point in this exercise with FH is to help clean up these small problems.

GeneSniper
Famous

Post by GeneSniper » 24 Nov 2019 20:51

This was one of the reasons for my re-do. When I transferred from FTM, about 1/3 of the addresses transferred into the Note field in FH and 2/3 transferred into the Address field even though the Place's transferred okay. I would imagine it's the reason Genealogy software manufacturers like to give you extra's above Gedcom, less easy to change away to another program. Customer for life, RESULT!!!!!
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 24 Nov 2019 21:34

I have written the attached Move Chosen Fact Value to Place Plugin Version 0.1 Date 24 Nov 2019.
( Didn't take long as already had 'Move Chosen Fact Place to Value' Plugin. )

It asks for the Attribute Name of the fact to adjust but is not case sensitive (so in your case enter Alt Death).

It will only move the Value to the Place if that field is empty.

On completion it lists all the changes in a Result Set.

If unsatisfactory then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before closing FH.
Attachments
Move Chosen Fact Value to Place.fh_lua
Version 0.1 Date 24 Nov 2019
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

USMC7312
Diamond

Post by USMC7312 » 24 Nov 2019 22:14

Thanks. I will give this a try.

USMC7312