* Merge 2 projects

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeneSniper
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Merge 2 projects

Post by GeneSniper »

Hi all

Is it easy to merge 2 projects?

I have been re doing my tree as many of you know. I haven't added any of my wife's family as yet, so the tree so far stops at her. Now I know that it is better to make one tree which is my intention, but here's my dilemma, my wife and my family although not related in any way (over what has already been researched) have quite a few people with the same names who are also born around the same time. I would like to make a second project starting at my wife and then input all of her family and then finally merge the two projects at her, that way I don't make any mistakes with sources for the wrong person from the wrong family. I found this on the file I imported from FTM, so I am not sure if it was me or the export/import.

So back to my initial question is it easy to merge two projects at the one person (my wife in this case)? I don't need any advice on how to do it or what to read to do it, just a simple, "Are you mad, it's a nightmare" or "Easy peasy lemon squeezy". I just don't want to do a second project to find that when I merge them, things don't transfer over and I have to go back through my now merged project and re add somethings. This is merging two FH projects.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merge 2 projects

Post by tatewise »

The only two people who will be common to the two Projects will be you and your wife.
So merging will be "Easy peasy lemon squeezy".

It should only automatically synchronise you and your wife, but if in any doubt then disable auto-synch and match you and your wife manually.
Note that the auto synchronisation does much more than just check Names and Dates.

Export/Import migration via GEDCOM from FTM to FH will NOT rearrange record links, so any mistakes must have been introduced in FTM.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Re: Merge 2 projects

Post by GeneSniper »

Thanks for that Mike, I was hoping someone was going to say that. I had quite a few things that appeared in the wrong place when I imported my Gedcom, maybe just a difference in where/how FTM and FH stored things. I presumed in this case that it was me who made the mistake when choosing the wrong Source while inputting some information, hence my solution :lol: :lol:

Thanks again
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *