* Reinstalling FH

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
JMCKG
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Reinstalling FH

Post by JMCKG »

I had a problem with my pc and had to reset it. Meaning I have now got to reinstall FH, I have disc and keys for V6, but need to install V5 first. I have discs for versions 3,4 & 5 but no keys. I have emailed FH twice in the last week looking for help, but no reply. Anyone got a specific email or phone number I could try. Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Reinstalling FH

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, Calico Pie cannot help you as you purchased CD from some other vendor.

You only need the FH V6 CD and they keys for V6 and V5. You do NOT need to install V5.
( That assumes the V6 CD is an upgrade licence from V5. )

See how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> Family Historian Installation Advice but in particular how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems and paragraph starting "If you bought an Installation CD ..." where it explains where to find the V5 licence key.

Hopefully you have backups of both your Projects and all customisation & preference settings.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I contacted FH support and they had tried to respond to you, but you emailed on an iCloud email which is returning a mailbox full option so their responses have been bouncing back.

However as Mike says if you have lost your licence sheet for V5 you will not be able to install the upgrade.

It may be worth contacting FH support with a working email and asking if it is possible to purchase a full V6 version with a discount against the value of your V6 upgrade licence.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Jane's intervention ("going above and beyond what FHUG does") should offer a solution to your immediate problem. (Most of us I suspect have suffered similar problems because you can never remember what happened years ago when you installed the software!)

I address this problem through a feature of my password manager - which allows you to keep secure notes (specifically including software license details) in a secure place.

I use LastPass (considered one of the leaders) and it encrypts my data on my machine and then stores it (encrypted) locally and in cloud storage - which can be accessed by other devices which use the same LastPass login/password combination. This should be ideal in situations where a PC has crashed or been stolen etc. You do of course still have to remember one highly secure password - it is genuinely the "keys to the kingdom" including, for me, my FH licenses!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The password manager solution is not enough if you have a downloaded installation file instead of a CD.
I suggest an archive as per the how_to:family_historian_installation_details#installation_archive|> Installation Archive advice.
That archive folder should form part of your standard backup regime.
You could even upload the CD contents and archive that to protect against loss or corruption of the CD.
JMCKG
Silver

Post by JMCKG »

Thanks for all the replies, I did not realise I had used an iCloud email address. Will contact Calico using another email address.
Thanks again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you checked your FH V5 CD box set for the licence key as advised?
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 04 Nov 2019 18:17 The password manager solution is not enough if you have a downloaded installation file instead of a CD.
I suggest an archive as per the how_to:family_historian_installation_details#installation_archive|> Installation Archive advice.
That archive folder should form part of your standard backup regime.
You could even upload the CD contents and archive that to protect against loss or corruption of the CD.
I would always agree that including installation files in your back up routine is advisable as it gives you a "local" solution.

But if you have "lost your (downloaded) installation file", (not the situation for the OP) but have saved your license keys, can you download the relevant trial version from CP and apply your keys to it? Or am I misunderstanding the CP website?
Calico Pie @ https://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/download-archive wrote: Please note if you originally purchased a CD containing Family Historian you will need to install from that CD. You cannot use a CD or upgrade key to unlock a trial version.

Family Historian 5 (30-Day Free Trial)

It is no longer possible to purchase a key for the version 5 trial. This installation program is only for use by customers who already have a key for the version 5 trial (download) version, but no longer have a copy of the installation program.
Will your version 5 keys unlock the version 5 trial (download) version? If it won't what is the point of CP maintaining a downloadable version of version 5 trial?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
JMCKG
Silver

Post by JMCKG »

Everything back to normal after help from Ros at CP.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

JMCKG, please create some form of installation archive (not just for FH but also any other bought products).
Then the problems you faced here should not happen again.

David, it is all explained in how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems including retrieving a lost download
The FH free trial download versions will work with a Full Licence Key bought for that version.
They will NOT work with a bought CD Licence Key nor with an Upgrade Licence Key.