* Configuring columns in records window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jessie 888
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Configuring columns in records window

Post by Jessie 888 »

Sorry, I know there's a simple answer to this and I'm missing something obvious!

After a recent computer change I've been putting things back to normal but I can't find out how to add the spouse-name column to the Individual Records List? (I've got back to my favourite columns of name, ID, dates, birthplace, relationship to root and when last updated but I definitely need the spouse column as well.) I've been going through the Tools - Preferences - Records Window - Columns tab but then I can't find the option to add the spouse column?
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Configuring columns in records window

Post by tatewise »

Jessie, there is a well documented process for migrating from one PC to another PC.
See how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.

You may well discover many other customisations that have not migrated across.
So the most comprehensive solution is to the use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin as explained in the migration guide above.

To update a column use the Lists > Configure Records Window Columns dialogue as you have done before.
See how_to:customising_record_window_columns|> Customise or Print Records Window Columns.
Scroll to bottom and use the <Other...> option.
The Expression you need is INDI.~SPOU>NAME
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you so much for that, Mike. It worked perfectly!

(I won't bore you with the long story about why I couldn't do the usual migration but I'm nearly there now anyway. It's actually been a good chance to look again at my preferences and change a few so every cloud!)
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You know it is a good idea to create Project Backups from time to time.
Similarly, it is wise to run the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin occasionally.
Save those backups in the same folder as the Project Backups and ideally save all those on external media.
Then when needed, you have everything to restore both Projects and Settings.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Good advice, as always!

I’m very good at doing regular Project backups at least twice a month (which I also save on an external drive and in the cloud just to be extra sure!) but I’m not confident with Plug-ins at all. They’re on my January 2020 list to learn about next year. There is so much useful stuff in the Knowledge Base, I just need more hours in the day to work through it all.