* Can I produce a copy of a Descendent family tree?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gogogadgetlegs
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Can I produce a copy of a Descendent family tree?

Post by gogogadgetlegs »

Hi, I am using Family Historian 6.2.2 and wanted to ask users if it is possible to produce one line of my family tree using the furthest descendant, to produce a Gedcom file to send of to someone in my family. I could do it easy in on Ancestry but i have tried every way i can think of to just produce one generation of my family tree on Family Historian.
Thanks,
gogogadgetlegs
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Can I produce a copy of a Descendent family tree?

Post by Valkrider »

File > Export > Gedcom then instead of selecting All just select the person that you want then if you want their descendants just include that in the options.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Can i produce a copy of a Decendent family tree?

Post by LornaCraig »

Can you clarify what you mean by "one line of my family tree using the furthest descendant"? Did you mean "earliest ancestor" (with all their descendants)? Or do you want one line from an ancestor to their furthest (most recent) descendant, without any extra side branches?

The method Valkrider has suggested will produce the first. The second can be done but requires some extra steps.

It's also not clear why you then say you want to "produce one generation of my family tree" because a branch or line contains many generations.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

An important consideration is how your family recipient hopes to use the GEDCOM file.
Do they have a genealogy product they intend to use to import the GEDCOM file?
Are there any associated Media image files that need to accompany the GEDCOM file?

Full details are given in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media.
In particular see section how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_another_person_or_product|> Export to Another Person or Product.

I am a bit confused about exactly which Individual records you want included in the GEDCOM file.
Your subject line says "produce a copy of a Descendent family tree".
Then you say "produce one line of my family tree using the furthest descendant".
Do you mean select a furthest Ancestor from which to produce a Descendant tree?
But that would not produce just one line as it would include all descendant branches from all siblings.
Later you say "just produce one generation of my family tree", but one generation would only include the parents & children forming one generation, and not a complete descendant line.

However, the technique is to use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and Select the records to include.
That may involve an existing relationship Query or a Named List you have compiled beforehand.
Then use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to convert the GEDCOM to a format required by the target genealogy product.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gogogadgetlegs
Silver

Post by gogogadgetlegs »

Good morning,several generation from the earliest ancestor to present day
Thanks for your replies, i did think people would ask me why i wanted to show several generation from the earliest ancestor to present day, which i wondered if it is possible, would also show marriages for said children in each Generation.
Maybe this would turn out to be a nightmare, having to add each person's name which i wanted to show?
I wrote it down incorrectly, as i said i wanted to download as a gedcom file when i meant to say a PDF file. This was just to show people who have contacted me, where their line connects into my own. This is not, for downloading onto a family tree.
On Family Tree Maker, i could select the earliest ancestor, and click on how many generation to include and it would show from the earliest, including children's marriages, upwards to the person i want, or to the latest, (myself) if this is what i wanted to show.
Obviously i am now running Family Historian and things are different to FTM, and i am finding it a better program, but
difficult to master. I expect the more i use the program the more i will find out about it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, so I've moved this to the FH General Usage Forum as it is not to do with Importing and Exporting to other products.

It seems you want to produce a Descendant Diagram in PDF format, which is straightforward.
Select the earliest ancestor Individual record you want to start from.
Click the Descendant Diagram icon in the main toolbar, or use View > Standard Diagram Types > Descendants that has the added option of letting you choose the Root Person to start from.

The diagram will include all descendant children and their spouses for all generations by default.
But if you want to limit the generations then use Diagram > Options > General tab and set Generations Down.

Then use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accept the default options to produce a single page PDF file.
If the diagram is too large for a single page PDF file then there are further options we can discuss later.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Another useful tool, is the How Related Tool which you can select two people and ask FH to create a diagram showing how they relate to each other. This is great for sending to DNA matches once you have entered the line into your tree.

Like any diagram you have control of the text scheme used.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Once you have your tree as described above you can "trim" it by
  • Using the little circle that you see on the line dropping down from the marriage link to the children - clicking on this will hide the children
  • You can also right click on an individual and select "hide" which removes them from the diagram (but not from your database)
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
gogogadgetlegs
Silver

Post by gogogadgetlegs »

Thanking you to one and all, you have been a great help and i will post a reply as to how i go on, apologies for the miss information regarding relatives/descendants etc which i have problems with.
Phil (gogogadgetlegs)