* Marriage to Deceased Wife's Sister etc.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Marriage to Deceased Wife's Sister etc.

Post by AdrianBruce »

Can anyone identify a means of listing marriages to deceased wife's sister and deceased husband's brother?

I got as far as a query listing the first 4 spouses of each person with 2 or more "marriages" - and then got stuck what to do. I had thought to just identify where the surnames matched and then assess each of those manually but I can't see how to compare two surnames being output in the query. I suppose I could run the query, output to Excel and then compare columns there....

Thanks for any inspiration!
Adrian
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Marriage to Deceased Wife's Sister etc.

Post by LornaCraig »

This might be even more complicated to write as a query, but it could be approached from the other direction: look for pairs of sisters or pairs of brothers where each of the pair has a spouse with the same name. That doesn't necessarily mean the spouses were the same person, but it would narrow the field dramatically.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try using a Family record Query because that automatically provides couples with convenient links.

On Rows tab add if HUSBand's 2nd SPOUse is not his WIFE and has same MOTHer as his WIFE, i.e. are sisters.
Add if
=IsTrue( Not( IsSameItem( %FAM.HUSB>~SPOU[2]>%, %FAM.WIFE>% ) )
and IsSameItem( %FAM.HUSB>~SPOU[2]>~MOTH>%, %FAM.WIFE>~MOTH>% ) )
is true

It also works by replacing ~MOTH> with ~FATH> or best of all FAMC> that caters for one-parent and no-parent siblings.
It assumes the 1st of potentially multiple FAMC is the biological parentage.

Then if necessary repeat for subsequent spouses, i.e. ~SPOU[3] et seq.

Optionally refine further:
Exclude those without a MARRiage Event ~ Exclude if %FAM.MARR% is null
Exclude if the WIFE has no DEATh Event ~ Exclude if %FAM.WIFE>DEAT% is null

In another Query, swap HUSB and WIFE throughout for wife marrying deceased husband's brother.

I have tried the above with a test case and it seems to work OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks very much for that Mike.

Overnight I'd begun to think that Family Queries might be a better way, though I'd yet to confirm what the additional, useful links were. The IsSameItem function wasn't one I was familiar with, but seems to answer the question of how to tell if there is a match in individuals. Better than staring blankly at a name and life-dates...

I need to ponder how many spouses I really need - I have one woman with five "spouses" - and a possibility of a sixth. Were I coding all that, it would be 5X4/2 = 10 pairs of spouses to check for being brothers. However (1) I can easily manually check her and any other heroically numbered spouses and (2) most of those relationships weren't formalised anyway so don't matter to the original question.

It may take me some time but thanks again.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You don't need to check for combinations of spouse brother matches, as the Query does most of it for you.
Just have one Row expression for each ~SPOU[n] where n is 1 to 6.

Considering that woman, each husband will be reviewed when their Family record is processed, i.e. 6 times.
Then each Row expression checks if one of her husbands is her husband's brother, except when he is her husband.
So you only need 6 Row expressions that get repeated for the 6 Family records, and check all combinations.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Adrian, I am not sure if you have tried writing plugins, but this sort of job is much easier with them as you can loop easily through all the siblings of each person.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Plug-ins are a lovely idea, Jane, but the time that I would need to invest in learning LUA doesn't appear to make much sense to me. One problem is that - so far as I can see - much of the basic structure of the LUA language seems to take inspiration from C / Java, etc, and I successfully avoided that family professionally. Visual Basic for Apps was more my thing when I dabbled outside the mainframe (which was my nominal scope). Object Orientation wasn't a problem - it's the, ahem, basic format with text concatenators and assignment operators v. comparison operators (==???!!!) and all the rest of that stuff - that's muscle memory if you've been down those languages but a pain if not.

I suspect I'd rather hack as much out of a query as I can, then dump into Excel if required - which it might not be here, with luck...

Mike - err, yes. I need to get my head round exactly what you said and what the query does.
Adrian
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Many thanks Mike - that appears to work and I even got my head round why I didn't need multiple combinations - I was forgetting what the Family represents.

Slightly to my surprise I've only got two Deceased wife's etc and one Deceased husband's etc. I had a vague idea that something like that had happened in Haslington but it doesn't appear and I even manually checked my Haslington marriages. So either it hasn't been entered into FH or I'm getting mixed up with inaccuracies being told about a mythical parent in a baptism.
Adrian
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

AdrianBruce wrote: 11 Oct 2019 13:25 Object Orientation wasn't a problem - it's the, ahem, basic format with text concatenators and assignment operators v. comparison operators (==???!!!) and all the rest of that stuff - that's muscle memory if you've been down those languages but a pain if not.
Tell me about it, some days I work in Python. Lua, Php, Javascript and a 4GL on a Mid-range system. The worst one is two full stops to concat in Lua and one in php!
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."