* Creating a GEDCOM of my Cousin's ancestors to give to them

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Albol
Family Historian: V6.2

Creating a GEDCOM of my Cousin's ancestors to give to them

Post by Albol »

Hi

I have been using FH for a while for my own tree. My cousin would like me to share the info I have on their ancestors in GEDCOM format - how can I create a GEDCOM that just has that branch of my tree in it - they don't want or need all the other information I have on ancestors that aren't shared.

I've tried searching in the files but I'm really struggling with a simple way to do this - please help!

Alison
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Creating a GEDCOM of my Cousin's ancestors to give to them

Post by Valkrider »

File > Export > Gedcom File and Select 'Add using Query' then select the All relatives query and then the person. That is how I do it.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Creating a GEDCOM of my Cousin's ancestors to give to them

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Alison.
Yes, Colin has outlined the fundamental process.
See how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media for more details.

Do you know what genealogy product your cousin is using?
Different products do not support the same GEDCOM features, so it is better to tailor the export.
See how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_another_person_or_product|> Export to Another Person or Product subsection from the above advice, that under Gedcom Formats introduces the Export Gedcom File Plugin with options dedicated to most popular products. One aspect of that is whether linked Media files can be incorporated.

If any of that is too complex for you, then do ask for detailed explanations, but do tell us which product your cousin uses.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry