* Printing an ancestors chart from the Focus window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mjkenrick
Family Historian: V6.2

Printing an ancestors chart from the Focus window

Post by mjkenrick »

I am testing out Family Historian at the moment and so new to it.

I very much like the chart produced in the Focus Window by clicking on the Descendants/Ascendants tabs, but cannot see anyway to print it out. Is such a thing possible? If not, perhaps that is something for a future upgrade??!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Printing an ancestors chart from the Focus window

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Please see how_to:v4:focus_window|> Focus Window Introduction, Printout, and Customisation and check the video.
It suggests Reports that provide very similar details.

Alternatively, simply use the fhugdownloads:contents:utility_windows_snipping_tool|> Utility ~ Windows Snipping Tool to capture the Focus Window display as a screenshot that can be printed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjkenrick

Post by mjkenrick »

Thank you, Mike. I was not aware of the snipping tool and that works fine - except that I cannot save the result as a pdf file, but I guess that does not matter for what I am trying to do,

I know there is a similar report - but it is not exactly the same! I will watch the video and see what other ideas that gives me.

Thanks for your help. I suspect this will not be the only occasion I need it !!
arthurk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Post by arthurk »

It is possible to save a snip as a pdf file - look in the File > Print menu in the Snipping Tool.

You may well have a Microsoft Print to PDF option (mine came as part of Windows 10), and Family Historian also installs a PDF creator. These tools are sometimes called virtual printers, which is why you find them in the Print menu.

You might need to experiment with page orientation and other options to get the best results.
mjkenrick

Post by mjkenrick »

Marvellous and thank you! Tried that and it worked a treat. Yes, I have both options as I use W10 too.