* Flagging a DNA Match?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Sue036
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Flagging a DNA Match?

Post by Sue036 »

Hi,

I have searched for 'DNA' and read lots of posts that I didn't fully understand. I have limited knowledge of how FH works. I just want to know how best to record which people in my projects I have a DNA match with. It would also be helpful to be able to record which site(s) their DNA is on and the number of matching cMs. I'm guessing that I might want to store more information later as my knowledge of DNA expands.

Don't want to head off on my own and make something up in case I end up with a load of data that I cannot easily share or maintain. So, if there's an emerging standard then that's what I'd like to hook in to.

All advice welcome!

TIA,

Sue
Sue in County Durham, UK

Researching numerous families but my current focus is on LE(E/A)D(H)AMs in Burton Upon Trent prior to 1829, thereafter in Stourbridge and also from c. 1865 in Sunderland and Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Flagging a DNA Match?

Post by Jane »

Did you read through this post

Recording DNA matches in Family Historian (16659)

I have also done this article which summarizes my method

https://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/20 ... historian/
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane, I am glad this topic has come up again.
I use this method. Thank you for designing it.
However there are times when I may want to record a Match's link to a particular branch or surname but dont know the precise link.
I find this arises in two ways on ancestry.
1. A surname search through my matches may bring up a person who has that surname in their ancestry but one has no idea where they fit in the tree.
2. Through shared matches.

I think I could really do with a note field? What do you do?
(The following all refers to non-Jewish trees. As Jewish cousin marriages produces different DNA results)

I have several very common surnames on my tree and matches with people whose only knowledge is that they are descended from an ancestor with that surname who went to USA long ago.
What do you do about disputed links? I have matches with people who claim they are descended from a person with that common name baptised in e.g. Middlesex. When I am pretty certain that they are not because I have that same family in a different county and related to my own.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I keep it simple and just add a note after the labelled fields which I can easily view by opening the fact in the property box.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you. That is much what I have been doing.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I have created a flag "DNA proven relative" which in diagrams switches on an orange border for the boxes of the people concerned. I assign this flag to the relative in question and to the people in the paths back to our common ancestral couple. I can therefore see at a glance which lines have been proved by DNA testing and which still need doing.
Trevor Rix