* Surname list and count per project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Surname list and count per project

Post by jsphillips »

Please Is there a plug in that can interrogate my project and yield a list and count of surnames in the following manner :-

Surname Male Females total
Bloggs 29 13 42
Green 12 10 22
White 84 52 136

File Total 200
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Surname list and count per project

Post by Valkrider »

You can do this and more in FTanalyzer which is a free download. It just reports on your Gedcom it doesn't change any data so it won't mess anything up.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

There is a plugin called Surname Summary Report written by Jane, which gives totals for each surname with the earliest and latest dates for each. It doesn't count males and females separately but could probably be modified to do so.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FTanalyzer does not separate Male and Female surname statistics.

Try the attached Surname Usage Count Plugin derived from the Surname Summary Report Plugin written by Jane and my own Given Name Usage Count Plugin.

The Plugin considers the Primary Name and all Alternate Name fields, but if the same surname appears in more than one of those for the same Individual then it only gets counted once. It ignores surnames with 2 or fewer characters.

It does NOT cater for Individual records with undefined Sex.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks all for help
Thanks Mike for adapting Jane's plug in Very good I am now using this although it would be nice to enter the unclassified records to balance up to the total records.

Concerning this I cannot find a specific genealogists rule for the following :-
Child born full data, mothers full name and data, father unknown.

To try and keep lots of these all being labelled unknown male I have identified either as:-
surname "unknown" forename "unknown" sex male or
surname"unnamed person" per FH sex male or
surname "X" "XX" XXX" or "Y" or "?" and variations of forename even if name known as William etc.
This was to prevent all of these being lumped together as an apparent singularity.
The Plug in seems to treat all of these somewhat differently on the sort. Perhaps the entries should all show Surname unknown1 and forename as unknown and others as Surname unknown2 and unknown.
It would be useful to find a generally accepted method adopted by most researchers who use FH without confusing the different unknowns ! As far as the plug in is concerned otherwise I must use XXX YYY or ??? etc as surnames and unknown as forename.
This of course can apply to females as well although in all cases sex can be known and entered.
Interesting !!!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What do you mean by 'unclassified records'?
Do you mean [unnamed person] records that have no Name field at all, or just those that have no surname defined?

What do you mean by 'balance up to the total records'?
The Total may not be the same as the number of Individual records since Alternate Names are included, so any Individual who has a different Primary Surname and Alternate Surname will get counted twice.

How do you want to handle Alternate Names that don't define a surname, i.e. use Forename // format?
Should they be included in the 'no surname defined' count or not?

I don't think there is a specific genealogists rule for dealing with an unknown mother or father.
If absolutely nothing is known, then why create a mother or father record at all?
i.e. The Family record could have one parent or no parents.

I don't follow your argument about being lumped together as an apparent singularity.
The Plugin count of different Surnames is a lumping statistical process by definition.
That lumps together everyone named SMITH or JONES even if they are not related, so why worry about UNKNOWN?

You say 'The Plugin seems to treat all of these somewhat differently on the sort' but don't give any examples.
The Plugin uses an absolutely standard alphanumeric sort, so what is the problem?
It should be exactly the same order as applies to the Records Window where the Individuals tab is sorted by surname.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you for your queries Mike please set aside as I have now in the Project......
To Prevent confusion I have renamed all my unknown surnames to X XXX ie no forename no surname
This where I know marriages exist this helps me to know easily where still to research
All known forenames ie Mary but no known surname has been renamed to Mary XXX
Also this way it is picked up in your surname count.
I have found a plug in called Surname Summary report which lists Surname, Soundex, Count , earliest and Latest.
This picks up 1 less record than the Surname Usage Count plug in
I have found diference is a surname of "BIRTH" in the surname usage report which I have checked and does not seem to exist in the project.
My FTMaker file agrees with the Surname Summary report and also does not contain this "BIRTH" record
Any ideas how I can fing this record ? I nver have had a surname called "BIRTH"
Any help gratefully received.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

For a married woman whose maiden surname is not know, a popular technique is to use their husband's surname, but with some special indicator such as prefixed with tilde ~ or enclosing in square brackets, e.g. /[Husband]/

As I said several times, and asked for your approval, my Surname Usage Count includes Alternate Names.
I know the Surname Summary Report (mentioned earlier) does NOT include Alternate Names.

To find Birth use one of the several Name search methods ...
In the Records Window on the Individuals tab use the Filter: for Last Name set to Birth.
( That may also list the wife of a man whose name matches. )
Use Edit > Find with Search for: set to Birth and in Look in only Name ticked.
The Search and Replace Plugin in Search ONLY mode would also work.

Attached is a new version of Surname Usage Count that lists all Surnames, even if the Primary Name has no surname, and includes records with Unknown gender.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you Mike
I have now altered my file and not using "more" in name but using Notes to reflect differences
I take all your comments and understand
All I really wanted was the Exact Surname Summary Report with 2 extras added
2 extra columns in this for Males & Female
and a Grand Total count of Records and total split for Male & female
Sorry to be a nuisance
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, try the attached Surname Summary Usage Plugin derived from Surname Summary Report.
It only examines Primary Names.
It produces counts broken down by sex, plus grand totals, and now supports names with Unicode characters.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Great Mike
Just what was required