* Finding Links to Places

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Langbard
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Finding Links to Places

Post by Langbard »

Apologies if this has been asked before - I searched and couldn't find an answer. Two things I want to do:

1) There are some places (incorrectly recorded and now put right) that have no links - is it possible to delete these?

2) For places which are incorrect (which I need to put right) and still have links to is there an easy way to see all the links? I tried using Edit -> Find but for a marriage (for example) I can't see an easy way to get to the individuals records

Pete
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Finding Links to Places

Post by tatewise »

1) See how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records and use the methods described there via the Records Window in the Places tab.

2) See how_to:finding_where_records_are_used|> Finding where Records are used that has a section dedicated to Place records.

However, to correct faulty Place names just correct them in the Place record itself or use Tools > Work with Data > Places features to Edit or Merge selected records. The links will be preserved, so you don't need to worry about finding them, and you won't usually end up with Place records without Links. This technique will also preserve any other Place record data such as Lat/Longitude, Notes and Media.

I suspect what you have been doing is finding a Place field in an Individual Fact and editing that Place name.
That will create a new Place record and may leave the old Place record without a Link.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Langbard
Gold

Post by Langbard »

I've got a solution for 2 but it is a bit clumsy, is there a better way?

Copy place name from the Records Window, do CTRL-F, CTRL-V, Find Now, Display Results in Results Window. Focus and then edit the offending Fact. OK for individuals but for shared events needs an extra step to locate the individual.
Langbard
Gold

Post by Langbard »

Thanks Mike, I was posting as you posted your reply! I will look at the links you suggested
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Checkout my full Reply, as you have confirmed what I suspected, and are using the wrong method to correct Place names.
Using the 'best' method does not need to find any Individual records at all, nor need any copy & pasting.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry